Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-01-2008, 05:04 PM

Australia Day

Australia Day
In a few hours time the sun will rise on the Western states of Australia. It is such a vast country that the residents of Perth, on the Eastern side are already tucking into their steak and bacon breakfasts. This is just a few words to say hello all you Aussies, you’re a great nation, and some of you, one in particular, deserves to be better known around the world.

I had the good fortune to spend a year and half in Ozz when I was in my twenties, it was a time I’ll never forget and one I remember with affection to this day. They called it then the ‘lucky’ country, and in my opinion it was well deserved. I certainly felt lucky to be there.

Australians are, by and large, a friendly lot, they have a wicked sense of humour, they work hard and play hard, and I can tell all of you that no matter what sport you consider your self good at, you would do well to think hard before challenging an Aussie to a game.

My very good friend, a Captain in the Army, was the nicest guy you could ever meet, one day he asked me if I’d like a game of tennis, I thought I was about average and I was a good few years younger than him so I said yes. We were all joking and kidding right up to the point we crossed that little white line……………..he thrashed me! Latter in the club he bought everyone a drink and was joking and friendly as before.

‘Happy go lucky’ is a term that people use, I think it applies to almost anyone from Australia. When I was working in London in 2003 I had the dubious pleasure of commuting Monday to Friday from West Kensington to Canary Wharf part on the District and then on the Jubillee line underground. One day I was sitting near the door, as I usually did, and three lovely Australian lasses got in, and since they were only going one stop they stood by the door. The District line is old and bumpy and sure enough, just as we departed Earls Court the carriage lurched, and one of the girls went to grab the hand rail, missed, and ended up in my lap. I guess this would have brought a smile to anyone, but these three went into absolute hysterics, especially when I told them I couldn’t remember the last time a girl had thrown herself at me!! They reminded me of my time in Australia all those years ago.

So to all you Aussies, and one in particular, I say

Thank you, the ones I’ve known, you are
One of the best
Nobody does it better from
Kookabara to Darwin
And Brisbane to Perth

The spirit of Australia is there, you are
Undoubtedly an inspiration
For you I hope you are
Forever happy.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Nice sentiment, but your compass needs recalibrated, lol, Perth is on the west coast, smile, you've been rumbled.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 05:16 PM
What a lovely thought, especially as you seem to have some very warm memories of them to look back on H, but one more in particular perhaps! They certainly sound a great bunch, not that I've met many in my time, I'm more a New Zealand fan myself!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Sorry Nero - Just testing I dare say all our Aussie members will jump on that too!! You can't edit blogs can you?