Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2007, 06:25 PM

Introducing Harry...

Hi there,

I went into Pets at Home today JUST to get an air pump for my fish tank..

I saw a family being shown two adorable adult hamsters and overheard the mum saying that she'd prefer the kids to have the babies.. When they'd been sorted i asked the guy what was going on with the adults.

Apparently when the Animal Shelter gets too full the bring all the older (less likely to be rehomed!!) hamsters to PAH I asked if i could see them, so he brought the (tiny!!!) cages back out. They were brothers, and 4 months old, so hardly more than babies, but obviously a lot bigger than the real babies in the PAH cages. One was brown and white and one was black and brown, i liked the black and brown one. I asked if he was tame, the guy said he'd get him out. He had to lift the entire wire part off cos it was all locked up cos apparently he is an escape artist He picked the little baby up and he just sat there in the mans hands looking at everyone, of course, me being me, i had to have him. All i had to do was pay a donation of half the value of their own Syrians which was only £3!! Not much to pay to give him a good home. I have all the cage/toys/balls/wheels etc at home from Esmarelda and it was all ready and waiting for a new owners

He's home now, in his two tier mansion. He cant work out the tubes, he goes in it but doesnt want to come out. He's only ever been in a tiny one level cage, no wheel, not even a little house to hide in from what i can see. He was born in the animal shelter so will take him a while to adjust i guess...

He's eating though, and has explored the top part. Here's some quick pics though i didnt want to stress him so theyre not great. They said he was a syrian but he is enormous, about twice the size as Esmarelda was. Anyone htink he might be anything else?

This is as far as he'll go through the tube lol

And here's his cage. Esmarelda loved it so hopefully he will eventually

Shirleyc
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Oh hes just lovely!! Well done for giving the little mite a good home
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2007, 08:58 PM
and that's why i never go in pets at home

he's gorgeous though!

xx
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Well done you for giving him a home, he's lovely and very lucky to have such a lovely cage
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks, he is rather adorable.

I dont like Pets at Home, but at least they're doing something for the rescues Donations all go straight back to the animal shelter, but it does make you wonder what the shelter are thinking giving their animals to a chain pet shop to sell?? The poor little thing hasn't been looked after very well i think. He needs a good bath, he's filthy!lol But not sure if you can bath hamsters (??). He still hasn't managed to work out the lower cage so has not gone in there at all yet. He didnt have a little house to sleep in in the cage he was in, an apparently has no clue what they are. He's asleep, curled up in the open, in one of the corners of the cage.. He wont touch any fruit & veg, or even the ham i gave him (Esmarelda used to LOVE little bits of ham!!!) but has had some of the hamster food..

I hope he'll settle in ok, i suppose its a big shock to him!!
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 07:57 AM
i don't agree with the pets at home/rescue thing - i think it's a dreadful idea. *sigh* still such is life.

I'm not sure myself whether you can bath them, I knwo we bath our rats, but hams are a bit different in coat. I know that they do enjoy a small bowl of chinchilla sand though! they'll roll in that like chins do.

xx
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Well hello Harry
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Hello little Harry you are a little sweetie.
ask mummy for a little bowl of water.... Kevin my old Hammy used to sit by a bowl and wash himself.
I'm sure you'll settle into your new massive home soon
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Glad Harry is now safe, 4 mths too old and yes you can bath hammies, I did one 'professionally' in my capacity as a dog groomer, she was bathed, blow dried and had her long hair trimmed as she couldn't cope with it lol!
Becky
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Aww he's adorable I'm sure he'll get used to his new cage with time. He looks about average size to me, maybe Esmerelda was small
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >