Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 10:44 PM

Tropical Fish

Just thought i'd post some pics of my fishies as im bored and have nothing better to do (loving unemployment lol!!).

I got a hoooooge box of new fishies in the post on Tuesday and they're all happy and settled into their new home... Enjoy!

Really bad pic of the whole tank (taken ages ago before the new fishies arrived!)

Cockatoo Cichlid

Peacock gobies

L183 (starlight) plec

Bristlenose plec

Angelfish

Ruby the Rainbow Shark

With her bestest friend, a little african shelldweller (thats his shell the goby was investigating lol!! )

My male crowntail betta and one of his two wives lol

His other wife

and last one... Both of them lol

Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Great pics, I love bettas.
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2007, 11:10 PM
how do you keep your tank so clean! my gravel and sides of tank are disgraceful, even though i have a gravel cleaner and algae scraper!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by ebrcknrdg View Post
how do you keep your tank so clean! my gravel and sides of tank are disgraceful, even though i have a gravel cleaner and algae scraper!
Two algae eating plecs

I love my bettas!! I had about 20 not long ago I've had to get rid of them all though as i just didnt have the space for all the bowls
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2007, 11:22 PM
do they get on with the other fish? i dont have a large tank (8.5 gallons) so i have to watch how many fish i have. Ive got 5 tetras, 4 adult plattys and one baby platty (roughly tetra size) and two zebra danios
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Plecs get on with everyone They pretty much keep to themselves and as they spend the majority of their time at the bottom of the tank the other fish shouldn't pester them. I'd go for a Bristlenose Plec as they stay nice and small. You'll find they do help a lot with the algae but you'll have to vac the gravel more often as the poop a lot
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2007, 09:35 AM
its probably not a very good idea to go with a common pleco for a small tank, most of the ones sold in aquatics stores get up to 13". Its true the smaller ones do stay small, but actually finding one of those is remote, especially seeing as most aquatics places label all the common species just as common, so theres no way of knowing which ones will get big and which ones wont.

In a smaller tank i would be inclined to look for a clown pleco which stays at around 2.4" or a king tiger pleco which maxes at about 4.5".

nice fish by the way
i used to keep tropicals myself but much to my OH's dismay i have now moved to keeping puffer fish
jeaniebeck
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Lovely. I used to keep tropical fish i had a nice 240 litre tank. My favourite were discus which i kept successfully for years. Had 7 adults which i grew from juviniles when i decided i simply had to get another but unfortunately it spread disease through my tank and killed all of them. I gave up my fish after that.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2007, 10:11 AM
You should be able to get Bristlenose's with no trouble All the pet shops which have an aquatic centre should have them, and they're quite distinctive from the larger ones as they have bristley noses

Jenny - What puffers do you have?! I LOVE those little guys, i wanted a nile puffer but they just get too big!! I have had the tropical tanks for about 5 years, and briefly had a marine (for about a year or so) but that was hard work and too expensive on my student loan when i had it
jeaniebeck
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2007, 10:15 AM
oh yes marine are hard work but so beautiful. I love puffers to and used to have the little figure 8 ones they can be kept together and don't get too big.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >