View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Yes thanks Christine, and that is why Cassie is not being done even though she is not 10 yet, but due to the state of her immune system etc. I have already told him she will not be done again. But with my previous dogs, I always stopped at around 10yrs. old.

Because of all the valuable information you sent me and the depths I went into all of this,I now have a dilema deciding on Georgie, as I don't want him done, but he is only 6yrs. old, and I know I will have a row with the vet over this one! Last year when he had his booster he started scratching again like mad, and all the info I have now read, I honestly think it's the boosters that are causing this. This will be a very big decision for me with him. Cassie I won't worry about, I have made my decision and the vet has accepted it.

Well you also know there is no need for a row with your vet Helen, you have all the info to present him with. Let him refute it with the manus.
And remind him, only healthy dogs should be vaccinated, also the steroids George has been on & his allergy
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks Axl & please let us know what your vet has to say about things
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Christine
Well you also know there is no need for a row with your vet Helen, you have all the info to present him with. Let him refute it with the manus.
And remind him, only healthy dogs should be vaccinated, also the steroids George has been on & his allergy
Yes Christine, but even the manufacturers have stated that the Lepto and KC (although this is only required if going into kennells etc.) still need to be done annually, and this is what I'm in a quandry about whether to do with him Also the fact that he's on steroids at the moment, be it one tab every 3 days, I still don't think it's a good idea for him to have it. I have got to sort something this week before it lapses anyway, so I expect I'll ring him tomorrow.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2006, 08:01 PM
when Harvey was poorly he couldn't have his puppy jabs until at least a week after he had come right off......
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Yes Christine, but even the manufacturers have stated that the Lepto and KC (although this is only required if going into kennells etc.) still need to be done annually, and this is what I'm in a quandry about whether to do with him Also the fact that he's on steroids at the moment, be it one tab every 3 days, I still don't think it's a good idea for him to have it. I have got to sort something this week before it lapses anyway, so I expect I'll ring him tomorrow.
Yes Helen I know but I`ve also said a couple times in this thread(maybe you missed it) that the 3 yrs applies to the 3 major diseases, parvo, distemper, adno and left lepto & kc out of it

You didn`t mention specifically your concerns about Lepto in this thread, but you have in previous threads & I`ve already given you links to what experts views on that vax are. I`ve also posted what the manus protocols are about dogs taking immuno-suppressant drugs (steroids are those) & being given vax.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks Axl & please let us know what your vet has to say about things
as above ...see what your vet says would be interested
bagoratz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2006, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
This is a really interesting thread!
We have always had our 'boostered' and have been a couple of months late before, but I've never heard of restarting with puppy vacs!
We asked our vet this time about having a blood test done but they said to just get them vaccinated. Not heard of the 3 year thing before, is that all manufacturer's Christine?
Having said all that, i know that there have been a few (fatal) cases of parvo in the norht west recently...so better safe than sorry? I don't know where i stand on the vaccination question, but I would hate myself so much if my dogs died an awful death ( or any death in fact) that I know i could have prevented with a jab...tough one...
I agree - must say this is all a bit of a revelation to me - I've always been a strictly 'puppy vacs and then yearly booster type of person' - I'b be interested to know more about the 3 year thing - I'll be interested to know what my vet has to say about it as well - tell us more Christine!!
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

28-03-2006, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by bagoratz
I agree - must say this is all a bit of a revelation to me - I've always been a strictly 'puppy vacs and then yearly booster type of person' - I'b be interested to know more about the 3 year thing - I'll be interested to know what my vet has to say about it as well - tell us more Christine!!
Hi B, what more can I say?

Have you read the links I`ve posted, think that says about all really & thats not me saying it, its the manufacturers themselves

What more would you like to know & I`ll see if I can help
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Yes Helen I know but I`ve also said a couple times in this thread(maybe you missed it) that the 3 yrs applies to the 3 major diseases, parvo, distemper, adno and left lepto & kc out of it

You didn`t mention specifically your concerns about Lepto in this thread, but you have in previous threads & I`ve already given you links to what experts views on that vax are. I`ve also posted what the manus protocols are about dogs taking immuno-suppressant drugs (steroids are those) & being given vax.
Don't think I'm making myself clear here Christine. I know the 3yr. bit applies to the major diseases as I said in my original post, but even the Lepto one I have annually is a bit of a risk for me with Georgie, and a definite NO NO with Cassie. She's not going to have any of them any more, but Georgie, I'm still deciding whether to go ahead with the Lepto one he had last year, and I'm running out of time by the looks of things on this thread I read all the info about even this booster (Lepto/K.C) but I just know my vet is going to be against me on this one, whereas he was fine with Cassie, he completely understands, but he thinks Georgie should have it, and I don't think I want it done. I will decide by Friday though. Thanks for all the relevant links I've had, I ploughed through most of it at the time due to Cassie's probs.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
This is a really interesting thread!
We have always had our 'boostered' and have been a couple of months late before, but I've never heard of restarting with puppy vacs!
We asked our vet this time about having a blood test done but they said to just get them vaccinated. Not heard of the 3 year thing before, is that all manufacturer's Christine?
Having said all that, i know that there have been a few (fatal) cases of parvo in the norht west recently...so better safe than sorry? I don't know where i stand on the vaccination question, but I would hate myself so much if my dogs died an awful death ( or any death in fact) that I know i could have prevented with a jab...tough one...
Our first Cavalier died from Vaccinosis & I personally will not have my dogs vaccinated unless their titre level & antibodies tests show that they need it

I will be having my puppy titre tested(which you should be offered before any vaccination course)& I have no doubt he will not need "boosting" His initial blood tests showed a high level but not as high as it should have been & this was before he was vaccinated BTW & I opted for a full puppy vaccination course to "top"him up

It is quite dangerous to give a full vaccination program to a dog that is of unknown titre/antibody levels. It coiuld initiate an adverse reaction

A friend lost a youngish dog(3 years old)to parvo & he had been boostered at the yearly aniversiary
Page 7 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »