Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2006, 02:16 PM

Unicows.dll?????

Anyone have any idea how to solve this? I've been messing on with a webcam for someone to try and make sure it works, but unfortunately when trying to adjust the picture it crashes the pc! After 4 attempts and failures MSN messenger then had a wobbler so I restarted the PC and then when I tried to go into MSN messenger it comes up with "This specified module could not be found. UNICOWS.DLL"

Now I've looked on the internet, found lots of questions and no answers! Tried downloading unicows.dll from the MSN download site but it doesn't seem to be doing anything, the error message still comes up!

Anyone any ideas? I've even uninstalled and reinstalled MSN messenger but to no avail!!!!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Thsi can be solved but i have never dealt with it before from what i have read you have corrupted the Microsoft layer for unicode which part of the windows operating system as is messenger. Messenger uses this part of the os for web cams and the like. I would try a system restore to see if that sorted the problem

When you say you uninstalled messenger did it actualy go or was it still on your system? Cause it has a nasty way of poping up again

When you go on your programes have you got two entries for messenger cause the messenger that is on the os is actualy differant than the 7.5 version that is out now that is why you have got 2 in your programes.

I have uninstalled the one that is on the os and downloaded the 7.5 as a stand alone programe
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Assuming you're using Windows XP, this problem can sometimes occur when Messenger is set to compatibility mode. To check whether this is the case, click Start, then Run, type

"%programfiles%\MSN Messenger"

(include the quotation marks) and click OK.

Then, Right click on msnmsgr, choose Properties and then click the Compatibility tab. Make sure nothing is checked and then click OK.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the replies, sorry I've not replied til now been snowed under with uni work and looking after my demented cat!

The problem is now solved thankfully, I did the compatibility thing after downlaoding a unicode bit off the microsoft website and now all is well. What a nightmare though! What is it with computers, they tell you somethings wrong but they won't bl**dy tell you why!

Thanks again leo and royv (and Het on the sidelines!), I'm lost without my MSN messenger!