View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Molly is still exactly the same, so glad I booked an appointment for the vet today rather than tomorrow as planned.

Just leaving now.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Good luck. Will watch out for your update and hope its nothing serious.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Good luck at the vet.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Back from my own vet - suspected cruciate damage, but hard to tell the severity of it because she goes so rigid in the vets.

Knee also doesn't feel normal in comparison to the other one. She's going in tomorrow morning for x-rays to see what's going on.

IF it is the cruciate, she said surgery isn't always necessary in small dogs under 15kgs but instead a period of rest and painkillers for 6 - 8 weeks instead can achieve very similar results to surgery. Just like you said, Bitkin.

We'll just have to wait and see what the outcome is tomorrow. So disappointed. But, it could be worse I suppose as hopefully no surgery is required.

Going to have to be extremely careful with her diet to try and prevent too much weight gain due to no exercise. Any tips and advice on this would be appreciated! I may start cooking more for her, low fat recipes and such like.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Well at least you are on the road to sorting out the problem, and hopefully at the end of it Molly will be as right as rain

If it IS cruciate damage, then she will have to be kept very quiet and prevented from jumping up onto chairs, beds etc., and absolutely no climbing of stairs. As you say, no exercise means restricted food and as in my opinion it is not wise to change a dog's diet unless absolutely necessary then the only option is reduced amounts........Molly will not be impressed!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Aw poor Molly, I am so sorry As you say, hopefully if it is cruciate damage she'll be able avoid an op. Good luck keeping her calm and rested As I mentioned in my post my neighbour's dog had both legs done and she managed to keep Meg's weight down by giving her vegetables to munch on as a treat.

Good luck and let us know what the results are. (((hugs)))
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Well at least you are on the road to sorting out the problem, and hopefully at the end of it Molly will be as right as rain

If it IS cruciate damage, then she will have to be kept very quiet and prevented from jumping up onto chairs, beds etc., and absolutely no climbing of stairs. As you say, no exercise means restricted food and as in my opinion it is not wise to change a dog's diet unless absolutely necessary then the only option is reduced amounts........Molly will not be impressed!
Guess we'll see one way or another tomorrow...

Molly can eat pretty much anything and be fine - she has a very good digestion. However, I don't plan to mess about too much with her diet, even though she gets a fair varied one just now between different moist foods, home cooked etc, plus dry.

I'm already reducing it by half and putting most of it in Kongs etc just to give her something to do. But no, I don't think she's best pleased!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Poor Molly Hope you get some good news tomorrow and its not cruciate damage.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Aw poor Molly, I am so sorry As you say, hopefully if it is cruciate damage she'll be able avoid an op. Good luck keeping her calm and rested As I mentioned in my post my neighbour's dog had both legs done and she managed to keep Meg's weight down by giving her vegetables to munch on as a treat.

Good luck and let us know what the results are. (((hugs)))
Molly is not the type of dog who will happily much on a raw carrot....she'd look at you to ask where the meat, potatoes and gravy were.

However, I'm going to puree some veg and look at recipes with veg in for it, along with oats, white meats and fish in. She does enjoy her food!

She's fed up I think though and is getting grumbly. I'm pretty sure she's fed up being carried in and out to the garden several times a day. Poor soul.

I've ordered a Perfect Fit harness or her to give her some support, hopefully it'll be beneficial.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Aw I'm sorry to hear that, she must be fed up with it. I hope it's not cruciate damage.
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »