Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I don't believe those words - they don't work for me at all

I do know WHY they are said and I can see the sentiment behind them - but I know that, personally, I could not have any of my dogs pts until I knew they were ready to go
But then when you know the dog is ready to go, its not too late or too early, its the right time.
When I made the decision with yoda it was probably a few days, maybe even weeks early, but I knew he was going downhill quickly and there was no coming back so I made the decision while he was still happy to some degree. It would have been selfish of me to wait until he was in a lot of pain and unhappy (but then I KNEW it would come and come soon) as I said, every situation is different and no one can say when it is the right time for someone else.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
But then when you know the dog is ready to go, its not too late or too early, its the right time.
When I made the decision with yoda it was probably a few days, maybe even weeks early, but I knew he was going downhill quickly and there was no coming back so I made the decision while he was still happy to some degree. It would have been selfish of me to wait until he was in a lot of pain and unhappy (but then I KNEW it would come and come soon) as I said, every situation is different and no one can say when it is the right time for someone else.
Absolutely! Yes, no one can say when is the right time for someone else. As owners, it is our job to know our animals inside out and to read how they are feeling and to make a decision, given that knowledge and also our own conscience, and what we can live with. Every case is different - and by saying that those words don't ring true for me is perhaps because I have not yet been in that position. One of my dogs was taken from me and I had no control over it and the other was in discomfort and I knew he wasn't going to get better.

I think hubby kept his old retired collie, Meg, going for an extra few months because I nursed her and I also felt she still had quality of life (she certainly had a good appetite, she loved cuddles and to play with any of the kids toys that made a noise , and she also pottered around outside at least once a day). However, I think if I hadn't been here, he would have let her go sooner ... that wouldn't have been "wrong" either - I suppose we all have to make our own judgments. It is just so damned hard
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Helena I am so sorry to hear about your old Georgieboy. I don't have any words of wisdom for you just wnted to let you know I'm thinking off you.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2012, 04:42 PM
heart, thoughts and prayers with you and Georgie for tomorrow,
xxxxxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi Helen

Just looking in to send you all big hugs for tomorrow. I can imagine how you must be feeling tonight hun. Whatever you do will be right for Georgie. Please give him a gentle cuddle for me.

Take care.
xxx
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Thinking of you and Georgie tomorrow xx
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Big hugs and extra special kisses from Dylan to his old friend Georgie. Thinking of you Helen xxxxxxxx
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Thinking of you tonight and tomorrow ((hugs)) x
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Best wishes from me and the girls x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran