Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 04:02 PM
tenner a week for feeding 2 medium sized dogs
This week my dog has had lamb mince, turkey mince, canned fish, goats milk, kidney, liver and bones and he's a 45kg male dobe so eats quite a lot - cost about a tenner too, some weeks its £7, others its about £11-12.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
My 5 are on different things. Danny and Jenny are on Iams adult and Otis is on Iams senior. Some people think it's not very good but when I changed them to a "better quality" food, their fur went dull and they lost loads of it so I went back to Iams and now they're back to lovely glossy coats.
Guinness is on Burgess Supadog Sensitive as he has a gluten allergy. He was fed this in the rescue and we've kept hi on it as he's doing really well.
Bessie is on good old cheapy Chappie!! She has chronic pancreatitis and I was advised by the vets to change her to this. She's doing well on it.
I add glucosamine and chondroitin supplements to their food too.
They also get a tin of sardines (except Bessie) a week for their joints and coats.
Many people have differing views about different foods and when I did some research into it I was just mind boggled!!
So I went back to what they are happy and healthy on and I'm sticking with it for good now.
Just get a good quality food and your dog's appearance will tell you the rest!
Have you tried Davies? I had a look at it today (puppy though so things may be different) 32% protein and gluten free..not sure if it's any good though - but thought I'd tell you about it any way

Louie gets a tin of Sardine's everytime I take him round to a friend of the family's (they lost their lab last year and just love playing with him) and they give him a tin whenever we go round - I do feed tuna and pasta with veg though..so mine get some variety

I suppose I ought to keep him on the CJS as everyone comments on how shiny his coat is
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:18 PM
I feed raw, costs about £35 (including delivery) for about 3 months worth of food for 3 large dogs.
AnimalFactor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:24 PM
I think it shouldn't come down to cost (cheap foods on a whole, are nasty and bad for your dog), you should buy what is best!

I like James Wellbeloved and Royal Canin.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by AnimalFactor View Post
I think it shouldn't come down to cost (cheap foods on a whole, are nasty and bad for your dog), you should buy what is best!

I like James Wellbeloved and Royal Canin.
As I said in the intro - I do believe - my situation won't allow me to buy the very expensive foods
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I feed raw, costs about £35 (including delivery) for about 3 months worth of food for 3 large dogs.
Thats good - where do you order from?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Thats good - where do you order from?
I was thinking the same... For when I do move them onto raw
AnimalFactor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
As I said in the intro - I do believe - my situation won't allow me to buy the very expensive foods
You will find the better quality and what seem more expensive, are actually better value for money, as well as better for your dog.

You see the better the quality of food, the lesser amount you will need to feed your dog. Thus, yes intially you will have to kick out more money, but will last longer and doggy has better health/coat and less visits to the vets

A bit like the Fairy liquid advert! x Cheaper brands are false economy!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Cobbydog Hunt Kennel Mix is only about £9.00 for 20kg and can be fed from 8 weeks through adulthood. I know a few dogs on it and all are doing very well on it.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by AnimalFactor View Post
You will find the better quality and what seem more expensive, are actually better value for money, as well as better for your dog.

You see the better the quality of food, the lesser amount you will need to feed your dog. Thus, yes intially you will have to kick out more money, but will last longer and doggy has better health/coat and less visits to the vets

A bit like the Fairy liquid advert! x Cheaper brands are false economy!
Louie's on CSJ atm and everyone comments on how lovely his fur looks and how shiny - and thats cheap-ish, Sadie's also on cheap brand dog food (not my dog though - I wouldn't have her on it) an her fur is fine and she hasn't needed to go to the vets unless it's for her boosters - so I disagree with the kicking out more money means you don't have to visit the vets more..

And wilko's own does dishes better than Fairy - fairy leaves them feeling funny and I'm allergic to it
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »