View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 02:31 PM
I just read the whole of this thread, you poor thing, you must be at your wit's end with your little man. Just a thought, as you were feeding raw mince, did you freeze the mince first before feeding it? I only say this because it kills off one of the very nasty bugs and I'm just wondering if that might have been the cause of this, which has resulted in the kidney failure? When they did the bloods, did they check for things like E-Coli and salmonella? I only ask because you mentioned that mince!

I do hope he pulls through this, and don't have any suggestions I'm afraid, apart from the fish and rice or chicken, some live yoghurt perhaps to settle his tummy, I always use the goat's live yoghurt so that I'm staying away from dairy because that can irritate.

Oh all the best of luck with him, I can't imagine what you must be going through.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 03:54 PM
when my lurcher was 12 i took him to the vet because he was starting to have problems walking. he would occasionally drag or walk on his toes on his back legs. the vet said they could help with this problem but his kidneys needed to be tested as he couldn't have the medication if they were failing. i was completely gobsmacked when she came back and said the test had shown he was in 75% kidney failure. so i was sent away with i thought, not much time left. leo carried on for 18 months after that and in the end it was his legs that gave out before his kidneys did.

it doesn't always mean the end is imminent even though it is important to stay realistic too. i also have a collie who was diagnosed with leukemia nearly 4 years ago and at the age of around 13, he is still going strong!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I just read the whole of this thread, you poor thing, you must be at your wit's end with your little man. Just a thought, as you were feeding raw mince, did you freeze the mince first before feeding it? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
You mean Neosporosis Caninum Helena ?

I freeze all my dogs raw meat before they eat it
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 05:09 PM
If I do, then it can't be that can it? I just thought that the yellow in the diarrhea, which is a sign of bad bacteria in the gut, must point to either a nasty bug of some type or something nasty the dog ate originally perhaps, and when some of these bugs take hold, they can cause untold damage to other organs can't they, especially the kidneys, being the major organ for flushing out all toxins. I'm assuming they did tests for things like e-coli and salmonella, coz they did with my dog's bloods.

I used to feed raw mince straight out of the packet until I read on here about some nasty bacteria in it! I don't know though if that is the correct nasty one Dyanne? Not sure on that, but I just read something I never knew about with your link so thanks for that!

This is such a young dog too, another reason why I'm thinking this - surely renal failure at this young age must point to some other reason, and if they can find it, and stop it.......

I hope he's still eating something light and keeping it down, and hopefully he'll be on the road to recovery. All the very best.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Yes all his mince was frozen before it was fed. I did provide a faecel sample but i'm not sure if they went ahead with it after the blood results.

Moon is still eating well and not vomiting, but he is quiet and reluctant to get up this evening, although enjoyed a short walk earlier. I'm wandering if we need a trip back to the vet tomorrow

He's also had a slight tremour to his back legs since coming out of the vets, anyone heard of this? Could it just be because he's feeling a little weak?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Did they inject him at all when you picked him up? I ask this coz the only time I've ever seen a tremour in the back legs of two of my dogs was after an injection of Vit K and a painkiller, so maybe if he had either of those, yes, you would see that, and sometimes, they actually can lose the use of the hind legs but only for a short period of time (my vet told me that after I asked why her back end had gone so very weak!).

Glad to hear he's eaten something and been out for a short walk. Obviously don't overdo the walking, he needs all his strength to get over this I would have thought. With a bit of luck, if he's progressing well, it could have been a very nasty bug or virus which affected the kidneys and they're going to get back to normal, I've got everything crossed for you. Good luck with him.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Moon doesn't want to eat this morning, he just wants to lie in bed
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 10:28 AM
it is so hard isn't it. hugs to you both and i hope this is just a blip. xxxxxx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 10:29 AM
just a hug, if your worried call the vet.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Moon doesn't want to eat this morning, he just wants to lie in bed
Hi Amanda, sorry to hear Moon is not so good today, hugs both xx
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »