View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2006, 04:45 PM

rottie x husky.... what to expect? (how easy/difficult to train?)

my parents have just rung me to say they have adopted a dog from battersea... a 8 month old rottie x husky.
As some of u can imagine im over the moon with this accidentle choice (was only one to be successfully tested with cats). Cos they hate indie my staffie, so they cant say shes dangerous now if they have a rottie. maha.

anyway, they have asked me to come and help train him, which is fine, but what do u think i can expect? ive owned a rottie before so am familiar with them, but never met a husky or trained one either.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Hi jenny, not sure what a husky x rottie looks like but i am not sure about rotties temperaments & their training but huskies can be quite stubborn & become deaf when it comes to training as have a mind of their own alot!!!! But saying that they can be trained. Not sure if it will be responsive off leash as mostly all sibes are not responsive on recall i have found. even when food is on offer. Their temperament is great though & loving, so no problems there i would have thought, hope that has given you some answers huni
rose.
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Agree with Rose, in my own experience training husky's and husky types Ive found them to be....a little difficult !! Im not sure if 'aloof' is the right word.....just when you think theyve finally 'got it'....they havent. Ive also found them to be in general (not all of them but seems to be common)....a little timid with certain things....like if your working with your average Rott and for some reason you need to be stern with them they deal with that fine, Ive found with a lot of huskys its almost like they (some) take it personally and might be a little stand offish for a little while.

Just my opinion though, everyone has different experiences.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2006, 04:44 PM
hey guys,
well i met the dog on sunday and he was lovely. Looks like a mongrel... but with black and tan colouring, a curly husky tail and a bit of grey coming through the coat. hes 8 months old.

he has a wirey coat, so dont know if there is a 3rd cross in there somewhere. he doesnt really have the face of a rottie or a husky.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Hi Jen long time no speak

Its always difficult to say with crosses which breed characteristics (sp - im tired!!) they will adopt, if they do atall, some are just plain random.

If he is a husky cross, he may be quite challenging to train and possibly unreliable off lead, you have owned a rottie and know what they are like, but like i said with crosses you can never be sure, my advice start as you mean to go on, you will see which breed he has traits from as he matures, and then you will be able to train acordingly good luck
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2006, 09:17 PM
hi gems! how ya doin!

thanks for ur advice. ur right, i just have to take it as it comes really as he may not have either characteristics.
i look forward to training him for my parents, he seems like a nice, calm dog.
will take a piccie this weekend when i see him
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Im good thanks, hope your keeping well
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by rosegallagher
Hi jenny, not sure what a husky x rottie looks like but i am not sure about rotties temperaments & their training but huskies can be quite stubborn & become deaf when it comes to training as have a mind of their own alot!!!! But saying that they can be trained. Not sure if it will be responsive off leash as mostly all sibes are not responsive on recall i have found. even when food is on offer. Their temperament is great though & loving, so no problems there i would have thought, hope that has given you some answers huni
rose.
I agree with rose my Sibe is (lets call it) choosy when it comes to commands.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2006, 08:14 PM
We have a BC x sibe next door: she is does come back very well and is off lead a lot. However, she is very predatory and will chase deer etc

Also she does like to bark a lot. The BC I think helps to make her more trainable than probably most husky crosses...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2006, 12:15 AM
If it's not definite what breeds are in there then I'd play it by ear really. Keep in mind that many rescue dogs can take 6 months to settle in and although the first few weeks will seem a breeze, the ones following that may be a challenge!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >