Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2005, 12:49 PM

Fostering

I have offered myself as a temporary emergency fosterer (as we both work full time now - so dog will be left during day)

I was hoping to attract the dogs that urgently needed fosterers before they are PTS. Success - there are 3 dogs due to be PTS on Thursday - and I have offered a temp home for 1 of them. I need to arrange transport (I dont have my own)

Like I said, this is for dogs in immediate danger of them being PTS - just wondered if anyone else fosters.... coz I think they want to leave it up to me to find them there homes.... but how long would this take? Because if it takes 5 months - its not good for the dog... or would I try and find them a more appropriate foster home?

x
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2005, 01:39 PM
ok why are the dogs going to be put down? is t simply cos there is not room for them? or are they vicous? find out, make sure your dogs wont be in danger!

Fostering is hard (i am trying to stop) but it depends how you go about it. i thought i was hardend, thought i could do it. but every so often there comes along a dog you adore, but circumstances wont allow you to keep it. so what do you do? you get heartbroken.

secondly its not easy to find good homes. when you start off, you get a million calls from one ad, and you think wow this is easy. then you get to know people, and that they lie and tell you what you want to hear, anything, just to get the dog. i am not telling you or anyone else what to do, everyone has different rules, but i will suggest strongly that you do these:
1. get yourself a contract written up. this can have anything you like (including keeping the dogs name if you want that), as long as it says you will be advised if the dog needs to be rehomed in future, or changes of address etc. (a responsible rehomer will take the dog back years down the line if needed. the dog is your responsibility for its entire life. think about that one.)
2. make sure the new owners get to see the dog at least once, and then take it away so they can have a good think about whether they can take/want it. this gives them time to think, and not have to make a desicion on the spot while you are there.
3. get to know as much as you can about the dog. if you have it, spend some time alone to get to know its attitude and temperment. this will stand you in good stead when finding a suitable home (eg no boisterous labs with little fragile old ladies. if its not with you, (in its current owners home) then take it away, and spend time with it. owners lie or just tell the good things. you may get a nasty surprise.
5.dont involve money. when people 'pay' for something, you wont get it back without a big fight. the best thing to do is ask for a donation, which is fully refundable if need be (state this in your contract)
4. trust no one but your mother.

in answer to your question, how long does it take.....
How long is a piece of string! it takes as long as it takes for a wonderful home to come along. you might get a lot of 'hmm oks' but you get a feeling in your stomach when its right. doesnt happen very often.
also depends on the dog.... some have problems that put people off, but always be honest. there is nothing worse than a dog getting rehomed and then having to come back after a week.
i have a wonderful little dog looking for a home just now, nothing wrong with her, perfect in everyway. i have had her 6 weeks and still nothing popping out. but as i am attached to her, i want that special special place. last year i had one for 3 months, she was very very timid. we found her owner by accident, talking to her in a vet one day! now at £40 per ad, the money soon mounts up.

really think about it before you start. its nothing but worry and heartbreak.
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Hiya Jess, thanks for replying. Gosh what have I got myself into?
I made it clear it was only temporary to get doggie out of immediate danger.... until a more suitable foster home was found... I didnt realise I would have to rehome them by myself... I might have to say no then.... Its just that on this site - I have seen many posts where a certain dog being PTS was taken on by a fosterer until a more suitable fosterer was found.... this is all I wanted to do.... maybe I should make it clearer...

With regards to other dogs, we have just rehomed our dog Cooper so dont have any dogs at all!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2005, 03:20 PM
oh for goodness sake, whatever happened?
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2005, 03:46 PM
are you being asked to foster a dog from a rescue? as I cannot believe that they would let a dog go into foster that was to be left on it,s own all day just seems strange I admire what you are considering as it can not be easy to become a fosterer but it,s something that cannot be taken on lightly
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Hello, Thanks for replying,
Its ok - I have spoken to the person at the rescue and there are 3 dogs that are going to be PTS on Thursday / Friday. I am just going to be a temp foster to get them out of immediate danger - while looking for a more permanent fosterer. It was just a little misunderstanding on my part!

I cannot really commit to being a full time fosterer until I eitherwork part time or not at all!!! but its ok - the rescue women knows this... so I am just going to act as an emergency fosterer... and dont worry - they have done the relevant checks...

sorry - it was just me panicking. At least 1 of them is out of danger
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

01-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Brilliant - at least you are going to help save the dog- fostering and rescue can be stressful and heartbreaking at times - but the main thing is to stay positive - what you are doing is a great job - and the best of luck with it
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 11:31 AM
good on you Cooper. I would love to do the same, if I knew I would not put my own dog at risk of cattching something.
There are a lot of websites for this in the US, and from what I can see, it is a success. Gives you time to save one little life of a dog that might otherwise be misunderstood, and thus ignored. At least you will have a chance to get to know his'her real personality, and then find a suitable permanent home.
It is not ideal for the dog, but it is way better than being pts. At least this way it has a chance