View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
karin
New Member!

20-02-2005, 08:57 PM

Lost papers

I rescued an 11 month old Black Lab dog last year.He had had a shaky start and I am his 5th owner.Apparently he was bought as a pup from Sherborne in Somerset by a Forces family.They were posted abroad and left him with a neighbour " for a couple of weeks holiday!"The neighbours kept him for 2-3 weeks then put him into kennels.He was there for some weeks before being passed on to an animal rescue where he was for 4 months before we rehomed him.He is lovely dog - very biddable and with a lovely temperament - he gets on well with our other Lab. Our only problem is that he is such a good looker that our vet has said he would be good to breed with - but we have no papers! Any ideas??
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2005, 09:18 PM
You would have to get them from the original owner. Thats if he is KC registered.
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 08:31 AM
I dont think that you will get the papers no rescue that I know off gives them and that is purly because they do not want any dogs coming from rescue used for breeding when we re-home one of the main stipulations is that you are not allowed to breed as there are so many dogs in rescue I am very surprised that you were not told this when you got your dog we do follow ups and constant phone calls and if we thought that for one minute someone was even contemplating breeding we would remove the dog hpoe I dont sound to hard it,s just that I am so shocked at someone re-homing a dog and then thinking of using it to breed with please visit our site at www.boxerwelfarescotland.org.uk and you will see how we work
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-02-2005, 09:00 AM
Change your vet. That is the most irresponsible advice I have ever heard coming from a so-called professional. Look up the statistics on how many Labs were registered with the KC last year. Look at a few rescue sites and see how many Labs have passed through their hands - a small percentage to new homes but the majority, I suspect, to the final injection.

Good looks? Is your vet a breed expert? There is a great deal more to breeding than looks! Forget the papers, forget the breeding, appreciate your pet for what he is - a pet.

Also, bear in mind that unless he is KC registered and has had all the expensive health tests, and has shown his worth in the show ring or at working trials, no-one with a decent bitch will want to use him. All you will get is the BYBs and the 'mum & dad' breeders who are doing the breed such damage.
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Gosh , what advice from a vet! why don't they stick to what they are best at treating animals.
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2005, 11:56 AM
I thought at first this had been posted for a wind up!!!

What a stupid vet!!

All I can say is DO NOT EVEN CONTEMPLATE breeding from this dog and follow all of the above posts.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 12:10 PM
I would say it would be almost impossible to get any papers, especially as he has had so many owners. And like somone said he might not even be KC regd. It has to be said that if someone buys a dog and then discards it like a piece of rubbish, I find it hard to believe they would pay the amount of money needed to buy a well bred dog. If you know what I mean??
When we got Woody (also a rescued lab) he had all his papers etc and an excellent pedigree with both field trial and show champions and both parents hip tested and eye tested. We also thought it would've been great to breed from him, as like you've said he has a fab temperment and was obviously well looked after. He was however neutered when we got him, and rightly so, and as it turns out he has elbow arthritis!! Breeding is best left to those who know what it's all about in my opinion.
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Please leave the breeding to the professionals, they considered all facts not just how the dog looks.
You will not get KCpapers from any rescue,

yvonne
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2005, 08:09 PM
i have heard of byb's ..but what are mum and dad breeders??????/
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-02-2005, 12:42 AM
"Mum & dad" breeders are those who carelessly breed their pets so that the children can experience the 'miracle of birth' or because they want a puppy 'just like Maggie', as opposed to BYBs who carelessly breed their pets with the idea of making a bit of money, and millers who breed to make LOTS of money.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >