View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2012, 08:30 AM
When I see a fox out and about it is a magical glimpse. I saw 3 cubs the other day I love it, but our foxes and there are a lot, still display natural behaviours, as country ones do. That's why I am anti hunt, well that and heaps of other reasons.

True urban foxes, like the ones that lived by my sister's old house, are a different story. I really don't know what the answer is.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
When I see a fox out and about it is a magical glimpse. I saw 3 cubs the other day I love it, but our foxes and there are a lot, still display natural behaviours, as country ones do. That's why I am anti hunt, well that and heaps of other reasons.

True urban foxes, like the ones that lived by my sister's old house, are a different story. I really don't know what the answer is.
It is very much like that here. I have only seen four foxes in the last five years and it is a magical sight. One big dog fox was sunning himself in a clearing on the side of a hill in the forest and because the sun was shining in his eyes he didn't see me or my dogs on the opposite hill for a good few minutes, and I really enjoyed observing him. Another was a vixen with a young cub at foot. As she was moving around in the middle of the day (albeit in a remote forest) I wondered whether someone had disturbed her and so she was moving her cubs to safety. Another wonderful glimpse.

All the foxes I have seen have been in excellent condition, with beautiful coats and brushes. They all have had a very healthy respect and fear of man. They are a far cry from the pitiful sights of my South London garden when I lived down there for a few years in my early 20s. Almost a different creature altogether.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
It is very much like that here. I have only seen four foxes in the last five years and it is a magical sight. One big dog fox was sunning himself in a clearing on the side of a hill in the forest and because the sun was shining in his eyes he didn't see me or my dogs on the opposite hill for a good few minutes, and I really enjoyed observing him. Another was a vixen with a young cub at foot. As she was moving around in the middle of the day (albeit in a remote forest) I wondered whether someone had disturbed her and so she was moving her cubs to safety. Another wonderful glimpse.

All the foxes I have seen have been in excellent condition, with beautiful coats and brushes. They all have had a very healthy respect and fear of man. They are a far cry from the pitiful sights of my South London garden when I lived down there for a few years in my early 20s. Almost a different creature altogether.
Oooo made me go all tingly and goosebumpy reading that! So magical
The foxes here are very respectful but thinking about it have probably increased in number in the last decade alone, even with the urban fox hunters with their spades, staffis, terrriers and lurchers

I agree- the London foxes are a breed all on their own. They do look so different; colour, size and temperament and behaviour.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-09-2012, 10:55 AM
A friend locally had a garden that backs onto an area with a healthy fox
Family. She started to leave food out when she saw the vixen had cubs. Within a week the vixen started to bang
On the patio door for food!!! very clever!
But this also seals their fate. When they become less fearful of humans they go into homes and cause problems like attacking babies for example-then they will get shot.Best to leave a wild animal wild.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
But this also seals their fate. When they become less fearful of humans they go into homes and cause problems like attacking babies for example-then they will get shot.Best to leave a wild animal wild.
Absolutely Steve, I couldn't agree more! Indeed this friend also realised and immediately stopped feeding them.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I thought you did live in a rural area?

Asides the visiting badgers and foxes my brother in law now has a grey squirrel who comes and raids his bird feeders
No. Who told you that?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I disagree Dawn. They are adapting because we are encroaching on their territories, as Velvetboxer says;wandering over their paths. I think most badger experts that monitor the populations would agree with that, certainly that seems to be the case in this area.(I am talking about a large area). As a result of their adaptation perhaps numbers are increasing but methinks we started it.
If they were merely adapting their numbers would not be rocketing. They are thriving and regardless in the end who is to blame, as human beings we should control the vermin species that inevitably cause issues for people. They are animals and they do not have the same rights or responsibilities as humans do.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If they were merely adapting their numbers would not be rocketing. They are thriving and regardless in the end who is to blame, as human beings we should control the vermin species that inevitably cause issues for people. They are animals and they do not have the same rights or responsibilities as humans do.
Saying nothing.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
No. Who told you that?
I must be confusing you with someone else
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I must be confusing you with someone else
No worries. I work in a rural environment, that may be where the confusion comes from.
Page 17 of 31 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »