Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Well given that Mals & Sibse are vrey similar in their traits..I would think that a cross between 2 dogs and only ONE GSD that its going to have a higher amount of Sibe and Mal than the GSD??

Don't you think??

Two high prey driven dogs and one not so much...Definately a higher percentage of prey drive in that mix
Yet the NI did not originate from a 3-way cross like that.

Originally Posted by mozzy View Post
Why is that NI owners always come up with the old chestnut that 'cos it's got GSD that means it's more trainable than a Husky, just putting together a Husky and a GSD does not mean you're going to get the best of both breeds...
Again, the NI did not originate from a simple cross of 2 or 3 breeds. In fact some mals, huskies and GSDs were used with existing dogs from none of these breeds so who's to say which breed would have most influence on the breed today? Without knowing the NUMBERS of each breed in the origins of my own particular dog's pedigree, I don't think it's fair to assume that either the GSDS, mals OR huskies would have had more of an influence than the other, or that ANY of these three would have an overriding influence over the original dogs used. And all this should be weighed up against the pure-breeding that has gone on SINCE then and a look at the breed traits seen in NORTHERN INUITS TODAY.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
Thank you but I think I understand the breeding of my dog better than you do. I think this post is a little patronising TBH.
Sorry, I don't mean to be but if someone with a BC said there dog was herding but it was a learned behaviour and not a breed trait I would say the same.
Before getting him did you read up on Sibes, mals and GSD
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to be but if someone with a BC said there dog was herding but it was a learned behaviour and not a breed trait I would say the same.
or better still talk to northern inuit people?
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:42 PM
I am sure he CAN be trained around livestock..I am damn sure if someone zapped me everytime I posted on here I would stop doing it..(LOL is everyone running out to buy a collar for me now)
If you read the thread you'll find it wasn't as simple as zapping him every time he chased sheep. The e-collar was used as an effective tool, along with lots of praise, in teaching him to obey commands while sheep were nearby.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
Seriously no ones telling me to say anything, you would have to be one seriously thick individual to say something or form opinions based on some tittle tattle PM'dd to you who would be that stupid.

I read your website because it was on your public profile and when you said you wanted one because you saw it on lost boys, i read too much into and took it from that that you saw one on lost boys and wanted one. Like Sally maybe saw a NI and wanted one - good for the goose and all that...

As for the freead thread I, unlike some people it appeared were able to draw my own conclusions as to the character of a couple of people on that thread.

Now id rather smack

you'd rather neither

lets leave sally alone as others dont like their own choices being questioned and let the thread just floooowwww
I beleive you just tried to call me thick? Thank you.. I am sure you are well qualified to be judging that..taking one to know one and all that..

For someone who is supposedly not being told anything you seem to be doing a fair bit of "sticking up" for people who arne't even in this conversation!

Oh and to add the tittle tattle PM'd to me was backed up by HARD evidence and I was provided with copies of that evidence..(and from "friends" who chat away with them)

I did originally see Nanook and want one..BUT did I run out and buy one that day/week or month??

NOOOO I waited EIGHTEEN years to be in the position to own one... EIGHTEEN years of learning and reading..

Can you please tell me what your point is regarding me and my choice of dog??
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Yet the majority of NIs I know do NOT have a problem with livestock chasing. Furthermore, many that HAVE had a problem have been trained successfully NOT to chase. So perhaps that GSD trainability is more influential than you are willing to admit?
I have never said all NID have a problem chasing livestock but yours does.
Did all the other owners with problems use E collars
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

Yet the NI did not originate from a 3-way cross like that.

Again, the NI did not originate from a simple cross of 2 or 3 breeds. In fact some mals, huskies and GSDs were used with existing dogs from none of these breeds so who's to say which breed would have most influence on the breed today? Without knowing the NUMBERS of each breed in the origins of my own particular dog's pedigree, I don't think it's fair to assume that either the GSDS, mals OR huskies would have had more of an influence than the other, or that ANY of these three would have an overriding influence over the original dogs used. And all this should be weighed up against the pure-breeding that has gone on SINCE then and a look at the breed traits seen in NORTHERN INUITS TODAY.
plus didnt coppinger demonstrate in a very small space of time how you can noticeably change a number of traits in a dog by selectively breeding it, my assumption, but then Im no NI expert, would be that if they used a GSD along the lines for trainability, surely this would be a character trait they would want to leverage in the breeds early redevelopment.?
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:45 PM

A little, but mostly I researched Northern Inuits.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 02:46 PM
I beleive you just tried to call me thick? Thank you.. I am sure you are well qualified to be judging that..taking one to know one and all that..

For someone who is supposedly not being told anything you seem to be doing a fair bit of "sticking up" for people who arne't even in this conversation!

Oh and to add the tittle tattle PM'd to me was backed up by HARD evidence and I was provided with copies of that evidence..(and from "friends" who chat away with them)

I did originally see Nanook and want one..BUT did I run out and buy one that day/week or month??

NOOOO I waited EIGHTEEN years to be in the position to own one... EIGHTEEN years of learning and reading..

Can you please tell me what your point is regarding me and my choice of dog??

why would you suggest im calling you thick - have you done somthing like that?

Im saying ive got as much right to question it as you have to question Sallys she came on this thread giving an opinion on e-collars?????????????
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:47 PM
I have never said all NID have a problem chasing livestock but yours does.
Did all the other owners with problems use E collars
Some did, some didn't. I think it depends on both the severity and urgency of the problem.
Page 61 of 64 « First < 11 51 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 >