register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Crysania is offline  
Location: Syracuse, NY USA
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1,848
Female 
 
29-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Lotsadogs
Your example illsutrates my point about dogs with different sensitiveitys to physical stimuli. You older dog is clearly very sensitive while your younger less so. With an e collar you would simply vary the level to suit either dog.
One time my partner reached out to touch my dog and accidentally shocked her. She wouldn't go near him for a couple hours.

Now tell me honestly, Adam. Would you put a shock collar on my dog to train her, knowing that she was so freaked out by a little electrostatic shock that she wouldn't go near someone she knows and trusts for that long?
Reply With Quote
Meg
Supervisor
Meg is offline  
Location: Dogsey and Worcestershire
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 49,476
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
29-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
all I meant was that despite the overwhelming majority here disagreeing with his his views & standards on dog training, he still comes back for more! If it were me that had received such a lot of criticism, or had such a wealth of evidence to contradict my views, I think I'd try to keep a low profile for a bit!! I'd also like to think that I'm open-minded enough to try to understand why everyone disagreed with me. But in AP's case, he just doesn't seem to care .
Wilbar , I wondered about this too then came up with a possible explanation. As they say 'no publicity is bad publicity', the e collar salesmen no doubt post on forums as a way of advertising the existence of their goods and in the hope that people will read their posts and commission them to train dogs.
Reply With Quote
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Adam P is offline  
Location: UK
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,497
Male 
 
29-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Crysannia

Yes because the level would be much lower than she experienced from your OH.

Adam
Reply With Quote
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Crysania is offline  
Location: Syracuse, NY USA
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1,848
Female 
 
29-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Crysannia

Yes because the level would be much lower than she experienced from your OH.

Adam
It was a teeny tiny shock. He felt it too and it was a really low level shock. The only electronic collar that my dog could deal with would be a vibrating one and even then the noise might bother her.

The fact that you would slap a shock collar on a really soft dog tells me exactly what kind of horrible person you are and how little you even understand. Not like it surprises me, but people like you simply disgust me. I would NEVER EVER let someone like you abuse my dog.
Reply With Quote
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Adam P is offline  
Location: UK
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,497
Male 
 
29-07-2010, 12:35 PM
It hardly matters what the owner feels, its what the dog experiences, clearly thsi was too high for her, therefore on an e collar she would have a lower level than this.

Adam
Reply With Quote
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Crysania is offline  
Location: Syracuse, NY USA
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1,848
Female 
 
29-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
It hardly matters what the owner feels, its what the dog experiences, clearly thsi was too high for her, therefore on an e collar she would have a lower level than this.

Adam
She wouldn't have any level. Even just running into her by accident shuts her down. A shock collar will NEVER be put on my dog. If someone tried to, they'd have to go through ME and that wouldn't be very pretty. I have no problem with putting a shock collar on someone who uses them on dogs and hitting the button over and over and over again.

See Adam, unlike you I do not train using pain (oh I'm sorry "discomfort"). Unlike you, I realize that other methods are more humane and work better. Because of that the dogs I've trained have been happy dogs who enjoy life, not scared shut down dogs who are afraid to make a wrong move for fear of getting a shock.
Reply With Quote
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Krusewalker is offline  
Location: dullsville
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,241
Male 
 
29-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
And who is suffering? I would like to remind Krusewalker that AP has boasted of using electric shocks on abused dogs. . Do K`s sensitivities at seeing a fellow under pressure in any way compare to the pain and distress of those animals?
He has also invited new members with difficulties with their dogs to pm him, and also advised the use of an electric shock collar to people without even seeing their dog. Ethical, you think?
Considering you work with rescue dogs, Krusewalker, I find your acceptance of cruelty worrying.
well, if you want to be strawman about interpreting my posts, then, yeh, sure.

1. in the last posts re the topic of politeness, as followed up from Wilbar....note, NOT the topic of ecollars....where did i say i wasnt aware that AP had advised use of ecollar on abused dogs?
Indeed, where did i say i am happy with this?

2. Where in my last couple posts did i say advising use of ecollars online isnt ethical?
Re advising use of ecollars online: question for you:
which member at that time led the charge on that one (or at least, co-lead)???
Ummmm

3. Can you provide me with a quote from my last few posts....remember, those upon the topic of posting style ....whereby i accepted cruelty?

In fact, if you can provide quotes where i made the statements you have attributed to me above, then I will conceed.

Aside from that, Im not worried.

On another forum, I am in the process of debating issues with a notrious ecollar trainer called Denis.
I have also just had to say I could defend or explain the points he has made regarding my posts, but as they werent the words i used or the context in which I used them, then their would be no point.

Do you not find it ironic and worrying clair that your communication and interpetation of people's points is achieved in the style of E collar Denis??

And that your manner toward has just borne Wilbar out?

We should be thankful, AP could be a Denis, then you really would have genuine cause for complaint due to forum attitude as well as training technique.

Personally, i think you make some superb training, behaviour, and ethical points to counter AP, Im not too sure sure why you need all the other stuff??

Do K`s sensitivities at seeing a fellow under pressure in any way compare to the pain and distress of those animals?
I didn't understand this sentence

cheers



KW
Reply With Quote
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Snorri the Priest is offline  
Location: Orkney Islands, Scotland
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,963
Male 
 
29-07-2010, 01:21 PM
TBH, I didn't understand it, either.......?


Snorri
Reply With Quote
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Lotsadogs is offline  
Location: UK
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 709
Female 
 
29-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
I think this is an important distinction and a very important point. When I call my dog to me, she comes because she wants to, because she knows I'm the giver of all good things, including food, treats, belly rubs, and ear and butt scritches. She knows that being with me is awesome and she runs to me with joy on her face.

I never ever want a dog to come to me because the alternative is scary and painful. I never want to see a dog running to me looking nervous about what might happen if they don't come to me.

Agreed.

From what I see of Adams writing, he has taken dogs that are very frightened of their owners and made them more frightened of things other than their owners, which in my view is pretty barbaric.

The thing that concerns me most about all of this is Why was the dog so frightened of the owners in the first place?
Reply With Quote
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
wilbar is offline  
Location: West Sussex UK
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,044
Female 
 
29-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Wilbar , I wondered about this too then came up with a possible explanation. As they say 'no publicity is bad publicity', the e collar salesmen no doubt post on forums as a way of advertising the existence of their goods and in the hope that people will read their posts and commission them to train dogs.
Yes you could well be right. If this is the case then the more of us that contradict these methods, call them cruel, ill-informed & sadistic, the better.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 64 of 77 « First < 14 54 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 74 > Last »


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top