Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 02:14 PM

Too cold in the winter?

Loki comes to work with me and spends his day in a pen, and I spend my breaks with him. His pen is in our fitting shed which is a concrete building with a proper roof and door but no heating, I am abit worried whether it might be too cold in there in the winter for him? I dont think I could really stick a heater in there for him, I thought about getting him a coat but am not sure he would keep it on without wrecking it if left with it on!
I know he is happier coming to work with us so leaving him at homes not an option, Id love to have him in my office with me but its not really big enough and he isnt calm enough yet he gets too excited at seeing new people which would be no good when im trying to serve customers!
Any suggestions?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't worry too much to be honest. As long as there are no draughts where you are keeping him, he will be able to stand the cold no problem. Does he have some kind of bedding that he can snuggle down into?
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-10-2006, 02:32 PM
dogs have more trouble with heat than with cold

Greetings

Johan
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks I think it may be one of those buildings that is cool in summer and warmer in winter, it was the coolest place here over the summer which was good cause he doesnt cope too great with the heat. He has a big bed with all blankets in, I thought about getting some kind of heat pad to put under his blankets maybe one u put in the microwave or something?
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the cold. Our GR will swim in the sea on the coldest winter's day and never seems to be bothered by it.

With his breed they will be good at withstanding very cold temperatures. When it is your break you could perhaps play ball or something with him as that will warm him up - he might even be glad of a cool down afterwards.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by lizziel View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the cold. Our GR will swim in the sea on the coldest winter's day and never seems to be bothered by it.

With his breed they will be good at withstanding very cold temperatures. When it is your break you could perhaps play ball or something with him as that will warm him up - he might even be glad of a cool down afterwards.
He's a Toller we ALWAYS have to play ball on my breaks! He has no problem going in the cold sea so I expect your right just didnt want him being cold so wanted to check if he'd be ok!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
Thanks I think it may be one of those buildings that is cool in summer and warmer in winter, it was the coolest place here over the summer which was good cause he doesnt cope too great with the heat. He has a big bed with all blankets in, I thought about getting some kind of heat pad to put under his blankets maybe one u put in the microwave or something?
Fluffybunny was telling me that there is something called snugglesafe that stays warm for about 10 hours and they are around £20 from pets at home cos I am going to get the rabbits one each if I can to keep them warm - don't know what they look like though of if they are suitable for dogs or not.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 04:57 PM
You could try getting him a heat lamp and put it up above his bed out of reach.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 03:23 PM
I wouldnt worry about hit at all, if he's out there every day he'll grow a coat to keep himself warm if he gets cold. But if you provide him with a decent bed (which you said you have done) then I wouldnt worry in the least. He's a gundog and they can cope
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I certainly wouldn't wrap him up in a coat Hannah, as he has no option if he gets too warm. Better to make a nice warm bed in there for him, they get warm enough in a nice cosy bed with maybe an old duvet in it and a blanket, that's what I'd do. Why not get some hay or straw in there and put a big pile of it in another corner and he might snuggle up in that, I know I always had one or two stray cats snuggled up in my stable in the winter, and it was very, very warm to the touch when they legged it when I appeared! Don't forget his water bowl might get frozen over too if it's really cold so keep your eye on it, which I know you will of course!