Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 12:32 PM

Pups attacked

I know how it feels to own little dogs now

When I got home from the training club last night
I took two of my male pups for there last stroll of the night
they are both rotts and 14 weeks old.
Normaly I would walk one of the adults with one pup but as it was getting late I took them alone.
I know all the other dogs on the estate and have no worries about them, I was only 2min from home and I saw a man with a SBT that I did not recognise it was off lead and weaving back and forth over the road sniffing around.
I called and asked if it was freindly and he looked up, when he saw the pups he panicked and lunged for his dog this answered the question for me, the dog when lunged at by the owner scanned the street and seen the pups

it was so fast he had no chance of getting hold of it, I put one pup between my front feet and one behind me and what only could have been seconds seemed ages as it came hairing up the street.
I know how it feels now to have dogs that are unable to defend themself from other dogs. I have always had large breeds that are more than capable. Its the worst feeling in the world thinking they could have been ripped apart before we could gain control. words cant explain the feeling its horrid,

I kicked the dog and it was only a tiny SBT it flew sideways up onto the garden at the left of me, the garden is on a hill and the dog rolled down landing on the pup behind me, the chap had caught up by this time but stood there looking so I took hold of its tail and back leg and lifted it off the top of my pup, to my amazement it had not gripped and was dangling from my hand with no pup in its mouth.

the owner then took it from me and could not be more sorry, I did not shout or swear I just asked for some silly reason what age it was he told me she was 3 years old and my only response was
" if I owned a 3 year old bitch that could attack 2 pups then I would have to think about the worth of the dog and the realiablility with it around kids"
Just thought I would share the experiance, the pups appear to be uninjured and I am ssssoooo glad of that. they did not run or scream they just stood where i put them the whole time, which surprised me they did not seem worried by the situation nor did they bark or yelp.

I take my hat off to peeps that own little dogs as every outing must be like running the guantlett,
I for one have far more respect for the problems they encounter on there daily walk.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 12:40 PM
My God bet that was terrifying Why in Gods name was that Dog off its Bl**dy Lead People make me so mad.

Can I just say because the Dog is Dog aggressive make it no more likely than any other Dog to Hurt a Child
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Blimey - what a nightmare Thank god the pups weren't hurt. This guy really needs to have his dog on a lead in areas where he may meet other dogs if it is very dog aggressive and totally untrained.

Just one little niggle though, I really don't like it when people assume that because a dog is dog-aggressive, then it is automatically people/children aggressive too. Not the case. This SBT may well be dog aggressive but a complete sweetheart with people and children.

This doesn't in any way deflect from the issue that his dog was completely out of control though. I do hope your pups weren't too shaken by the scary experience.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
Can I just say because the Dog is Dog aggressive make it no more likely than any other Dog to Hurt a Child
Great minds! I have just posted the same thing and then saw your reply
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

10-10-2006, 12:41 PM
I am so very sorry that you and your pups had an awful experience with the staffie....

my only response was
" if I owned a 3 year old bitch that could attack 2 pups then I would have to think about the worth of the dog and the realiablility with it around kids"

Please please dont think that cause a female staffie does not like other dogs even pups that she would cause harm to a child/person...dog on dog aggression is complety different to dog to human aggression..

I have a female staffie who will be twelve on her next b'day...she does not like other dogs but she would never never never hurt a person, she is the most people orientated dog you could meet.

Again I am sorry that you had a bery bad experience and hope that you are all fine...and hopefully your pups can meet a nice staffie to counter any effect that this might have on them....
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 12:44 PM
How awful for you and the pups These are the few mindless idiots that give's breeds a bad name,what was it doing off lead
Glad to hear your pups are ok.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 12:48 PM
I know it was very wrong to say it was not trust worthy round children and I dont know why i said it It was such a silly thing to say I know where he lives and will talk to him again but it just came out my mouth
in a recent topic asking what would you do if your dog was attacked i answered but not from the prospective of little dogs to be honest its a whole diff thing with adult rotts to pups and its horrible I have never felt like that before and hope never to again
Can I also add that the dog showed no aggession what so ever to me even when I had it by the tail and leg in mid air I also wonder if apon realising it was pups the attack was less aggressive as she was on top and imo could have got a grip if she really wanted to there are lots of SBT in my estate and I have never had problems before many do not like other dogs but they seem to adopt an aloof cant see the other dog attitude,
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 12:50 PM
NAUGHTY NAUGHTY go WRITE 100 LINES Don't worry we all say things we don't really mean sometimes I'm the worlds worse for doing it
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Sounds like a scarey experience. Glad everyone involved was ok and hope the guy will keep his dog on a lead now. Mine are always off lead over the fields but whenever i see someone else with dogs on leads or very small dogs i always put mine back on. I know they would never hurt another dog and that they only want to say hello, sniff and play but i also know how terrifying it can be to have 2 fairly large dogs bearing down on you and your little doggy!!! Anyway glad you and the pups are ok x
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 01:28 PM
how scary
imust admit though as soon as I read what you said I was about to have a go about assuming that dog aggressive dogs are not good with kids - being 8 mopnths pregnant with a dog aggressive staffie my hormones were taking over- but have read the whole thread before posting which was probably a good thing !!!

glad you repented !! - definetly go and have a word with the owner - cos no way should she be offlead.

I dont know how many people have said to me over the last few weeks after seeing me out walking bruno and being heavily pregnant - "so when you getting rid of that dog then ??" - unbelievable - Bruno is my first baby and whilst I understand the risks with any dog and children it really gets up my nose that folk think i would knowingly put my child in danger by having a "dangerous dog"

anyway totally off topic just my hormones on a rampage !! LOL

glad that ur pups are ok and glad to hear that the staffie didnt do you any harm - have to say they rarely do even if attacking another dog its rare they ever bite a human.

meant to say aswell - my staffie doesnt necessarily associate with puppies being any different than any other dogs - especially if they are big puppies - he has been ok with a french bulldog pup and a staffie pup but thats its - anything bigger such as a young crossbreed who was only a few months old but was nearly as tall as he was - he had no idea it was a puppy and not just another dog when it was tearing over the field towards him.....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >