Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2012, 08:42 AM

1:1 trainers

Who uses a 1:1 trainer?
What for?
How much do they charge?
Do you feel you benefit from 1:1 training more so than in a group situation?

I trained Yogi with a 1:1 trainer a couple of years ago to start us off tracking and to train for the search square and other working trials components.

I am considering going back with Zak. The trainer charges £25 a session, and that usually last around 2-3 hours - although some of that time is spent watching him and his dogs work, so I feel the charge is reasonable.

There are working trials groups that get together to train however, I like the fact that with a 1:1 trainer you can choose the time and date on which to meet (within reason), there is not as much hanging around while others work, and the trainer really gets to know you and your dog and can tailor the type of training to your dog's temperament and specific needs.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2012, 08:50 AM
£25 for 3 hours is very cheap, none of the 1:1 trainers I have used would be this cheap (neither am I)

The average here is £25 per hour depending on various factors.

I have used 1:1 trainers from time to time but in the last 7 years the majority of my sessions have been at workshops where all participants have 1:1 time.

This is mainly down to my job, I cannot commit to a particular time on a particular day on a regular basis, the people I tend to go to are fully booked with regular clients and rarely take on anyone new and if they do it is by word of mouth they have no need to advertise.

My weak spot is top level competition heelwork so I have used the majority of 1:1 sessions on this subject. Although I have also had 1:1 on bitework.

In workshops you get feedback from the trainer but also other attendees which is always useful (and takes the pressure off the trainer) provided of course that feedback comes from a knowledgeable source.

Personally I learn just as much from observing others as I do from working my own dog; it develops my "eye" as both a trainer and judge (depending on the skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience of others).

ETA you can use your time wisely in groups or not.
LupiLu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-06-2012, 09:49 AM
£25 for 2-3 hours does seem incredibly cheap! I've investigated 1:1 in the past and the going rate seems to be more like £40/hour! We go to a group lesson twice a week with a senior obedience judge - £5 a session. He also does 1:1 for £25 an hour as and when we ask for it. This has the advantage that we benefit from the group environment and learn a lot from more experienced people and from just watching others, as smokeybear says. Also our trainer knows us (and our problems!) from the group lesson and we can then focus on particular issues in 1:1 sessions. Probably doesn't help if you don't have a group class nearby but it certainly seems to be the best of both worlds.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Sounds cheep to me

I agree with SB, although 1 to 1's have their place I get a whole lot out of a class situation

You get to watch how everyone else is doing, see their mistakes and sucesses - and its always lovely to support each other as you are progress together
But also the standing about can be good down time for the dogs to think and learn, personally I wouldnt train my dogs anything for an hour solid
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2012, 12:23 PM
I have only trained 1:1 with a gundog trainer. One was a well respected spaniel/lab trainer and he charged £25 per hour. The other trainer is more or less unknown and charged £15 for 1.5 hours.

I train in a class now and I have to say, for Flynn's requirements, 1:1's are better. In a class situation he tends to play up and 'show off' (running around with the dummy when he will bring it straight to hand normally etc) and also squares up to the other male dogs. He will also lunge when other dogs are sent for a retrieve so I do find him to be far better behaved when there are no other dogs he feels he has to compete with.
speug
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-06-2012, 02:33 PM
I sometimes have a 1:1 agility lesson for £25 an hour - I usually just go to the group lessons but every now and then it's good to spend more time on things that we need to work on but the rest of the group don't
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I only have agility lessons 121 and pay £20 per hour for the lesser known and £25 per hour for the 'top' trainer.

I benefit much more from 121 than group as I can go and say I've had x problem this week or I would like to work on a certain thing that week, whereas in a group you more or less have to do a whole range of things with perhaps something you don't need to work on and also have to wait your turn (I hate waiting!)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 03:22 PM
I have booked my first 1:1 with Zak for next Saturday morning

The trainer said he now charges £35 but will only charge me the £25 of old, so I am pleased.

I agree that group lessons are great to see how others train and work their dogs, and it is nice to see everyone's progress and also to learn from other's mistakes, as well as your own. I would probably always choose group training for obedience and agility, but like doing working trials one to one.

Nick on here has mentioned the WT group that meets at Vogrie and I would like to join their sessions too in the future when I feel confident in our foundation training.

It would seem the trainer is cheap compared to what many of you pay. However, as I said, you don't work and train your own dog for 2-3 hours at a time - but probably an hour max. The rest of the time is spent watching him laying tracks, observing his dogs on the track and how he handles them, as well as some obedience and manwork - and just general dog chat