View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm glad they have been exposed - I've never heard of them,found it uncomfortable to watch, I was close to tears watching the girl flinging the anaesthetised cat about
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 09:40 PM
I've worked for a couple of abusive vets and reported them but nothing could ever be done about it. I always wondered what would happen had I had a camera and could capture the abuse on tape. I KNOW none of the pet owners who trusted their pets to our care knew what was happening behind closed doors. I can't watch the show (I'm not in the UK) but I'm glad someone has blown the whistle. Maybe it will make other negligent vets think twice.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 09:44 PM
The Eastwood branch of Medivet was my old practice. I left because of their ridiculously high charges! And of course my lovely landlady, she who sold a puppy with a skin complaint which required two lots of veterinary treatment within 6 weeks of purchase!!
Becky
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
The Eastwood branch of Medivet was my old practice. I left because of their ridiculously high charges! And of course my lovely landlady, she who sold a puppy with a skin complaint which required two lots of veterinary treatment within 6 weeks of purchase!!
Becky
I did wonder what sort of breeder would sell a pup with an existing condition and if they did I would expect them to cover the costs! More fool the poor owner!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli
Becky
Yes, I picked that up too

Glad they got exposed, lets hope they go out of business now, but they will probably just start up under a different name.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 10:53 AM
My landlady is doing some damage limitation by telling everyone that that was the only puppy affected in the litter, erm no, it was walking dandruff and lice and ALL the puppies had it. I know I took them to the vet!!!!!
Becky
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2010, 11:23 AM
It was fairly horrific to watch and I'm really pleased they have been exposed. I just hope that people who are with them see sense and find somewhere else to go.

I feel very lucky that we're so happy with our vets. They're very popular for this area despite there being so many to choose from. I know we can never know what's going on behind closed doors but how do you know when to trust and when to be suspicious? We were a little unhappy with Ben's stiches after he was neutered but I brough it up with a partner and he had a word with the vet who did it. He didn't seem to suffer it was just very untidy and bruised compared to Max's. I don't know if I should have made more of a fuss or not, but overall we ahven't had any problems with them.

I've never been keen on chain vets mainly because of stories. I don't know if we're allowed to name and shame or not but I know of someone who used a local branch of a chain who told her not to worry about her dog bring ill (I can't remember what was wrong) and if I remember rightly the on call vet refused to go to the branch and told the owner to find someone else if she was that worried. The dog died. That's just one of several stories I've heard.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Like the rest of you I was horrified.

This has been posted on Medivets's website,
http://www.medivet.co.uk/news_view.asp?id=115
‘It shouldn’t happen at a vets’ – Panorama 22 July 2010

We are shocked and appalled at the behaviour of a few of our staff, and wish to apologise unreservedly for this. We have immediately suspended a number of staff shown in the programme to have behaved unacceptably, and disciplinary procedures will follow. This will include reporting possible professional misconduct to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.

A panel of enquiry, including independent expertise, is being set up to investigate all the issues raised in the programme, and will work closely with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. It will conduct a full root and branch review of the group, and make recommendations on internal supervision, management, technical procedures and corporate culture.

Medivet is committed to learning all the right lessons so that the failings exposed by the programme are not repeated.

A detailed commentary on the individual issues raised in the programme will be posted on the Medivet website shortly.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Well I'm glad I don't use them, although I do use a chain vet and I'm very happy with them. Mine is always the same vet unless he's on holiday, the same nurses have been there the whole time I've been using them which is over 10 years. I've always found them more than happy to spend ages discussing treatment and they always seem very open and honest. Their charges are comparable to other vets in the area and they do have all the up to date equipment and their own hospital. I think it'll be a shame if all chains get tarred with the same brush.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 11:59 AM
I wonder if there last statement also includes the "director" or whoever he was that decided to put half unused blood back in the fridge for later use, thats after draining blood back into the bag when it should have been thrown away, I guess he too will be able to manage the practices, like the vet who did get struck off was able to do,

I cant understand why the people involved in the cruel treatment of these animals went into vet nursing in the first place, when they are obviously not animal lovers.

Mo
Page 8 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >