Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

01-04-2012, 08:28 AM

Raw Food - first try

So, I popped into P@H yesterday as they have a selection of Raw.

Defrosted some Turkey overnight (I bought a pack of Tripe, Chicken, Turkey, Rabbit, Beef, Lamb and White Fish. They sell them in 400g mince blocks which are 10% bone - I got all the blocks in my freezer and I worked out that I could get 21 blocks in one drawer, i.e. 10kg. Noted for future reference).

Both the dogs loved it. On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is they are disgusted by it I would say Lady was a 10 and Max was 20!!!

I plan to give them one meal per day this week Raw and if it is successful will order a bigger delivery. If that all goes well its then about converting a cupboard and putting a freezer in it.

I think I will have to keep kibble in the diet for convienience more than anything.

We have also been googling Raw for cats and it seems it suits them very well too. We are letting some get to room temp right now as apparently cats may not eat it cold.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
So, I popped into P@H yesterday as they have a selection of Raw.

Defrosted some Turkey overnight (I bought a pack of Tripe, Chicken, Turkey, Rabbit, Beef, Lamb and White Fish. They sell them in 400g mince blocks which are 10% bone - I got all the blocks in my freezer and I worked out that I could get 21 blocks in one drawer, i.e. 10kg. Noted for future reference).

Both the dogs loved it. On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is they are disgusted by it I would say Lady was a 10 and Max was 20!!!

I plan to give them one meal per day this week Raw and if it is successful will order a bigger delivery. If that all goes well its then about converting a cupboard and putting a freezer in it.

I think I will have to keep kibble in the diet for convienience more than anything.

We have also been googling Raw for cats and it seems it suits them very well too. We are letting some get to room temp right now as apparently cats may not eat it cold.
Kible is all ways a good back up plan as sometimes PAH run out over the weekend. However you can buy prize choice from its website, costs the same and delivery is relatively cheap and their is no minimum order either. I feed Millie Prize choice and she would be a 15 I think ^^

it maybe better to order from the website as you can buy chunks of meets including the livers and hearts, some cooked chicken breasts. Just be aware that were they put dinner it usually means they have added chicken.

Certainly an easy one to begin with when starting on raw :>
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

01-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Kible is all ways a good back up plan as sometimes PAH run out over the weekend. However you can buy prize choice from its website, costs the same and delivery is relatively cheap and their is no minimum order either. I feed Millie Prize choice and she would be a 15 I think ^^

it maybe better to order from the website as you can buy chunks of meets including the livers and hearts, some cooked chicken breasts. Just be aware that were they put dinner it usually means they have added chicken.

Certainly an easy one to begin with when starting on raw :>
Thanks, the packs seem very convienient and if I do go 'full raw' P@H is handy. They do sell some of the chunky packs as well. If I stick with it (we'll see if the stomachs are OK with it in an hour of two!) then I would probably want much more oily fish in the diet.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 09:43 AM
If you can find a supplier, the packs are almost half the price of PAH
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

01-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
If you can find a supplier, the packs are almost half the price of PAH
thanks, i noticed that the prices in p@h aren't that far off the cheap stuff for humans in the supermarket freezers!

i have found a supplier with better prices, just waiting to find out delivery costs
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
thanks, i noticed that the prices in p@h aren't that far off the cheap stuff for humans in the supermarket freezers!

i have found a supplier with better prices, just waiting to find out delivery costs
I have found with cheaper foods that the delivery charge is very expensive but ive heard others saying this is cheaper especially if you keep larger or muliple dogs and have the freazer space for it then you get more for your money.

Me it is more worth it to get the Prize choice stuff as I only have a little freazer and one smallish/mediam dog. It would be kinda silly for me to pay a big delivery price for only a small amount that id need anyway.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 12:19 PM
i order from raw to go. the delivery charge is expensive, but i think its worth it.

it means you can order packs of meat rather than trays of 20, which means i can get more variety for my lot

glad your dogs like raw, i love feeding mine raw food.

i tried my cats on it, but they werent that keen on it. i tried them on natural instinct but they only ate one tub, so ive stuck to feeding them a good kibble and wet diet with the odd raw treat.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Towards the end Pebbles took a shine to prize choice beef she would not eat anything else even the fish.