Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-03-2012, 07:50 PM

Why do dogs chew bark?

I'm sitting here chewing liquorice root and it just dawned on me - do they chew it the same way they chew grass? For 'health' benefits?

I don't remember her name, but there was a writer from Russia who promotes eating RAW food (yep - for humans ) and she noted that after about 6 months of eating raw natural foods, your body quickly accustoms itself to knowing which foods to eat based on the vitamins/minerals it requires. Bit like us drinking water when we're dehydrated - our body tells us to drink. (She referenced her son craving almonds (high in calcium) after a bone injury as an example.)

Anyway, I guess here's the thought - wonder if dogs chew bark because they need something from it? We know that certain plants have certain health benefits - so is it really that crazy an idea?

I'd love to see which plants/trees dogs in the wild eat/chew - could be enlightening.

What do you think?
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks for this question Az, will be very interested in the replies..Maggie chews bark, would be good to know why....
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Unfortunately they will also eat things that are poisonous or food or totally non-food items that result in potentially fatal obstructions so I don't think the "knowing, finding and recognising what they need" explanation is to reliable.

Bark "gives", pulls off trees and shreds and as such can be very satisfying for dogs to chew and throw about. Some bark may also taste interesting.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-03-2012, 12:43 AM
its chewable! i cant keep mine out of the wood pile!its more of a pasifier,i think.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
its chewable! i cant keep mine out of the wood pile!its more of a pasifier,i think.
I think id agree with that though rather a piece of wood in the garden then the bench or banister!

Millie likes bringing sticks to her "nest" and chewing them up, she adores sticks for chasing and chewing and tugging.

who needs expensive toys eh?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I think id agree with that though rather a piece of wood in the garden then the bench or banister!

Millie likes bringing sticks to her "nest" and chewing them up, she adores sticks for chasing and chewing and tugging.

who needs expensive toys eh?
Sticks are *the* most dangerous toys for dogs.

Dogs eat things that are poisonous to them so I dont beliee they eat what they crave in terms of nutrients/what their body needs.
Also, one of mine eats grass alot, I think she enjoys it rather than eats it because she feels sick/needs it.