Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 01:25 AM

Whats best a dog or bitch?

I already have 2 bitches both will be spayed next year but im considering another dog in a few years but what would be best a dog or a bitch?x
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 08:31 AM
I'd say a dog, there is always a risk with a bitch, even a spayed one that you will get bitch on bitch aggresion.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 09:10 AM
We have never had a problem introducing any new dog........with help integrating you should be fine sI would go for what you want.

I prefer bitches I think from past experience my bitches have been a bit more sassy....and I like the attitude

Good luck with whatever you decide
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2008, 09:17 AM
ive got 2 dogs and 2 bitches never had a problem with any of them but def prefer bitches
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 09:20 AM
I would say go for a dog, why increase the risk of aggression, when there is a safer option. Plus that way you have a boy too for variety. Once you have a boy you will see a big difference between him and the girls I would guess, they are such clowns!

Something that I don't know very much about is what the attitude of your existing girls will be to each other once a boy is added into the mix. Hopefully someone with such knowledge will be able to advise.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 09:33 AM
I have five girls and one boy - all intact - and I have no aggression problems between any of them. There is the odd growl over a toy or something but that's it! I've never put up with any of it from the start, anyone growls or shows their teeth, soon got a swift telling off! I read somewhere a while back that if dogs show aggression to each other they are trying to take over the pack so you should let them know that YOU are the leader NOT them). I think it has worked with mine.

I personally prefer girls (as you probably guessed having five of them ). Just find they have such character and attitude - which I really like.

All the boys I have ever had are just interested in being loved and fed (pretty much like human males really ).

Depends what you are looking for in a dog. I have heard many Breeders say that a neutered boy is the same as having a girl but I don't find that to be true for any of the dogs I have had over the last 20 odd years.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Personally I would go for a dog - as there is an increased risk of aggression by adding another bitch. I also happen to prefer dogs

A lot depends on your current bitches temperaments.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 01:26 PM
On the whole i prefer bitches but with two bitches already a dog may fit in better.

While growing up we have always had 3 dogs, 2 bitches and a dog. It was always the two bitches that had the odd squabble with each other never the dog! On the whole though they all got on really well.

Once we have the time and space Dave wants a male Dobe so it looks like thats next on the list!
Matt and Vikki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Only you know your dogs and how they react to others, a pup of either sex can always change dynamics, when we introduced Rebel (male pup) Ria (18 month old Bitch)became very possesive over him for a while, but as our eldest Ranger (male) wasn't interested it caused very little friction, we now have to wait and see what happens between the boys as Rebel matures.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Cheers guys i knew deep down a male would be better i just needed other opinions
My girls get on well with either sex but like its been pointed out it will cut down on the risk on any aggression x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >