Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 12:19 PM

terrified of cars, traffic, roads!!

Hi all, I know I have asked this before on other threads but it's getting to the point where we will not be able to go out in the car. It's a shame because there are lovely places we could take him. . .if he would just calm down!!
My Ben is 6 months old rescue Border Collie Cross. We have had him for a week, and he is fine on the fields but as soon as we come even close to a road, car or even the sound of traffic he freezes and tries to pull the other way. He will not go in the car. We have been trying to get him to just sit in the car with the engine off. He will (under protest). What else can I do to introduce him to traffic. I take him to a quietish road and he is very nervous and skittish if I didn't have the lead I kinow he would bolt. Please help
Elaine
Springador
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2008, 01:35 PM
We had this with our pup, we couldnt go anywhere in the car without him being sick etc, he was so scared.
I got him through this by holding him on my lap on short journeys and I sat in the back with him laying down on his mat, he soon calmed down and although he wouldnt volunteer to go on a car jouney he is much better and lays calmly on his mat. He is still abit nrevous on walks but I ignore him, I sit him when I see a bike which is his main fear now and once its past I reward.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Have you tried feeding him when he's sitting in your car? That way he will start to associate the car with good food not scarey noises.

Heidi
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the reply, I know I have asked this before on different threads, but its getting so we can't go out in the car. he's sick, he drools so that I am soaked! When we took him to the vet last Friday he pooed in the Car!! I do sit in the back with him and comfort him. Maybe I should just sit there and say nowt! until he calms down. But even when he is calmish his eyes are dashing left and right as if he's looking for a way out. When we let him out (on the lead of course) he just tries to find somewhere to hide with his tail shoved so far between his legs it's pathetic!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Yep tried that last night with honey roast ham! Oh yea he ate it ok but it was as though he wanted to eat and run. That was my OT's carry out too!!
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Have you tried giving him rescue remidy, you have only had him for a few days, so i would concentrate on bonding with him first instead of forcing the issue with the car and roads, nervouse dogs need to feel secure befor they can take the next step, put him on rescue remidy in his drinking water or give it oraly to him, and start by enjouing yourself with ben, you have also got him at a crucial time in his development, so take things slowly and steady and build a solid foundation of trust that you can build on, each tiny step builds up to massive leaps
good luck
Nellie
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi Elaine a week is a very short time to have a puppy.He has yet to bond with and learn to trust you, best not to rush him, do things slowly at his pace so he doesn't become more fearful.

If your puppy had genuine motion sickness he could associate the car with feeling sick and this may make him fearful of the car.
He may be better traveling in a dog blanket covered box/crate (or one of the lovely canvas travel crates) so that he is unable too see out of the moving window . If he is used to a crate in the house his
' safe place' ,he may also be happier in a crate in the car because his security is traveling with him . Ginger capsules are also good for motion sickness.

For traffic on the roads I would take him to a place a good distance away from traffic so that he can observe it, then totally ignore the traffic talking to your puppy and giving him treats. In a few days as he gets used to the cars you can move a little nearer to them always ignoring them and giving him treats/praise when he ignores them too. Never try to force him to face fear, you risk making it worse.

To get him used to the car he needs to learn to associate it with good things.Try opening the doors and throwing high value treats like small slivers of chicken into the car, feed him in there too. Sit with the radio on not going anywhere playing with your puppy. If he is ok with this move on to short journeys of just a few minutes. If you take it gently he should get better in time, do not expect quick results it may take weeks. .
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi Hun, think you have mentioned this before, a week is very short time, Bruce our 5 month old BC, still won't get into the car on his own, I have to lift a very stiff body in.
We keep him in the back with the girls, he was sick a few times and has poo'd/pee'd, but now he's fine. I think you need to gain alot of trust with your wee pup first. If anything like our older girl Reah, we think she was dumped at a layby (she was dumped we knew that) because if we pull into any layby she still trembles with fear and we have had her 7 years. It will all fall into place in time you'll see.

PS think Minihaha has given some valuable tips
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Thank you so much for all the advice. Yea I think I am expecting too much from him. I just want him to see that the car leads to nice places. We have a conservation area just a few mins from us so we will try that in about a week.

We have been doing the car/treats/radio thing he is getting a bit better. He is such a lovely little thing. When I take him for a walk we have to cross a very quiet road at the end of our lane so we can get onto the park. He is fine until he realises that he has to cross the road then it's a case of get over there as quick as he can. It's quite funny really! Once he is on the park Well... he is a different dog! I can let him off and he comes back to me (no problem) Still submissive with other dogs but will run and play with them. Oh my I love him so much, what a joy having a rescue dog, wish I had done it years ago!!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Took Ben to Wigg Island last night. It's a park, only 5 mins away in the car. he was fine in the car! Wehey!! He was a bit subdued in the park (not his usual bouncy self) we put that down to the park being strange.
However, when it was time to come home as soon as he saw the car park, (there was only our car and another there) he freaked out slipped his collar and ran the other way. My OT finially caught up with him and in the end had to carry him back to the car. He was ok coming home though.
I have bought some Rescue Remedy today and tried it on myself first LOL it did seem to slow me down a bit (felt like I had had a shot of voddy!! I have put some in his water and also bought the spray version.
Will leave the car alone now for a week or so and try and gain his trust a bit more.
Any more ideas? maybe some behavorial training? Does anyone know of a good trainer in the Runcorn. Chester area?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >