Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2004, 01:49 PM

Don't lets forget that

Unfortunately it is not just Fox Hounds, but many other types of hound including Harriers and Beagles, and all the terriers that are used for hunting, and the horses. If a hound or dog has been brought up in kennels they are very difficult to re-home being not house trained, nor trained to eat from a bowl nor live without company of their own kind, not lead trained since a pup and are not aware of danger. It can be done of course, but is not the sort of task the inexperienced could take on. The horses who are not suitable for competition or hacking will no doubt be used to provide food for all those homeless hounds and terriers.

Would like to ask that all those who love dogs, hounds, horses and wildlife do their best to help in this situation, but sad to say the best way for most the packs and a good number of the horses will be to be PTS.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

19-11-2004, 02:44 PM
PLEASE NOTE!

This (edited) post has been left up as it is addressing what can now be done for the animals that were used in hunts.

You may reply to the post BUT YOU MUST STAY ON-TOPIC and only address the issue of what can now be done for those animals. THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO BRING UP THE WHOLE FOX-HUNTING DEBATE AGAIN OR TO AIR YOUR OPPINION ABOUT THE BAN - anyone making posts away from the topic or not following the rules above will be banned.

We've had the fox hunting debate before (which you can find here: http://Dogweb.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?t=529 )
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Thordell, this is exactly what I knew was going to happen. All those poor dogs, PTS for no reason but for being born!!

If I was in the UK I would offer a home to a hound or one of the terriers. As it is, I will be trying to persuade the family to open our home to one.

I am not an inexperienced owner, and I have helped adapt dogs to living in houses, thats why I would take one. But sadly the majority for owners don't have this experience.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Kate
I have heard that dogs such as these could not adapt to a pet home ?
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Thats what I mean. I am lucky enough to live in the county, and have a HUGE garden. I also have the facilitys to extensively exercise the dog. But its takes alot of time to change the dog, and even then if its too old, over 5 years, it'll be almost impossible. That and I have friends in the behaviourist and training side, that'll help.

But as it is, not everyone has that.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2004, 07:25 PM
Forgot to add, the facilitys are thanks to my friend. She has 8 well fenced acres, 6 foot chain link. It included woods and a stream, and grass.
RobK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-11-2004, 10:12 PM
If I had the land Id take one in a heart beat. I dont think my little 1/4 acre would cut it though

Pardon my ignorance but have'nt these dogs been bred for Centurys to hunt. their working lines must be pristine

I would think U.S. Breeders would be all over this, but then again they are U.S Breeders. :wink: