Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
delazzer84
New Member!
Male 

22-10-2013, 01:28 AM

Adopted dog annoying my other dog

Hey guys first post here! Ok so I have a 9 month old female sharpei x bulldog which iv had since a month old, and two months ago we adopted an 11 month old female husky. For the most part they get along fine but quite often the husky will follow the sharpei and constantly bite the sharpei and hangs onto her. It doesn't seem to be hard, it's like she is just playing but the problem is the sharpei hates it and gets angry and they almost get into a fight, it's definitely not play from the sharpeis point of view as she will whine after a while and just wants to get away from the husky.

So I'm just wondering what I should try to stop the husky constantly doing this? Iv just tried a firm NO but she goes right back to her, even when you block her she just eyes her off. Is it boredom, obsessiveness etc?

Any help is much appreciated guys!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2013, 02:24 AM
I had this problem... more or less. I have a 10 year old GSD mix and adopted a 3 month old Lab mix. At first they were fine, but a few months went by and he began being mean to her. He kept barking in her face and jumping on her head and shoulders and being totally awful to her.

Also, the GSD mix did what your Shar-Pei mix is doing and would try to hide from him behind me and eventually run away after snarling and growling (this was ignored by my puppy) failed to stop him.

I used positive re-enforcement to help stop this. When the two dogs are together (obviously supervised by you) keep some treats on hand and when the dog starts being annoying, break up the little "tiff" with a treat. Give both dogs a treat and praise them.

You can use a garbage clicker if you want... it helps the dogs recognize when they've done well. I personally hate them and find them annoying, but they are said to work well and they cost little to nothing so they are certainly worth a try. Read up on this.

It took a while for the training to work, but now at 10 months old, he mostly leaves her alone and if he strays... I only need to call his name for him to cut it out and come running up to me waiting for his "good boy!!". Rarely these days does he irritate her and they live in peace 90% of the time.

You could always try the "make a super loud noise" route to distract them... but it will be a lot more annoying for you!

You could also train them together and it will make them a little friendlier around each other. My GSDx is too stupid to learn hard tricks and too impatient at this age to try many, but it might work with younger dogs?

BTW are the bitches entire? If so.. spaying might help them calm down a bit! Good luck.
delazzer84
New Member!
Male 

22-10-2013, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the reply!
I might have to try the treat when split apart trick. The husky is de sexed but the sharpei isn't just yet, hoping to get that done within the next couple of weeks tho, my partner suggested that could possibly calm things down. It's just so frustrating to watch cos when it's happening the poor sharpei just gets tormented it's like she's being bullied.