View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 05:36 PM
the money bits are in $ can we not do it here, i was quite interested, would be good motivation to do more with phoebe
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
the money bits are in $ can we not do it here, i was quite interested, would be good motivation to do more with phoebe
I think you can still use a card online, even if its in dollars. I would however, check that they will post to the UK first.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 06:01 PM
KG; Here is a dog/video that got novice
http://www.youtube.com/user/SHAKTISh.../2/70PNELlmHcc

Here is a page showing titles (a lot more than three!)
http://domorewithyourdog.com/pages/titleholders.html

Edit; Here is his Intermediate video
http://www.youtube.com/user/SHAKTISh.../1/M6TLwWRs25c
I think $20 is a bit much?(per cert)
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
didnt even know you could get a title for doing a dog trick at all let alone via the internet.

i am also now very tempted to get one for phoebe. can it be for something as simple a giving paw in way of thanks? or the real tricks some of you do such as the stacking rings ect

Taken from the site.
Four standard titling levels are offered:
novicE trick dog (ntd)
Demonstrate 15 tricks (advanced and expert
tricks count as 2 tricks).

intErmEdiatE trick dog (itd)
First earn your NTD, and then demonstrate 12 tricks of an
intermediate or higher skill level (advanced and expert tricks
count as 2 tricks).

advancEd trick dog (atd)
First earn your ITD, and then demonstrate 5 advanced or
expert tricks.

ExpErt trick dog (Etd)
First earn your ATD, and then demonstrate 5 expert tricks.

Exceptional titles:
trick dog champion (tdch)
The TDCH is the highest tier title, and is awarded
to exceptional dogs who demonstrate outstanding
skill in performing a large number of difficult tricks,
and who also demonstrate skill in every facet of
foundation behaviors. To apply for your TDCH you
must have earned your ETD title. A TDCH applicant does not
perform tricks for a witness, but rather submits a video. The
requirements for the TDCH title are detailed on pages 5-7 of
this application.

After that its a become an instructor type of title.

I'm not sure money wise BUT I think maybe it is worth it (depends on individual I suppose) Work commitments mean I cant go to a club to train for WT's and so this is still something we could work towards together as a hobby. He can already do about 20+ tricks. It sounds so much but its nothing really, I only even know that cos I sat and thought hard as I listed them then gave up but I don't put much into it so this is something we could polish up on and work on.....
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Do you want me to sort out one for Dogsey?

rune
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
yeah!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
yes please, i want proof that phoebe is not as stupid as people think
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I don't see the problem with someone paying for a certificate if they think it would be a nice memento to have and they can afford it. People get certificates for other dogs sports, good citizen scheme etc etc. Why not for tricks?

For some kids I think it's a great idea, how to interact and bond well with a pet and receive positive recognition etc.

Loui can already do quite a lot of tricks from the book (101 dog tricks) and he really enjoys it!

I am pretty sure its Dog Games that have been doing the online certificate thing for a long time now though, so that aspect of the idea is not a totally new concept.
Sorry - I obviously didn't make myself very clear. I wasn't suggesting that people shouldn't do it if they want to. It's just not for me.

I agree that for kids or people who for whatever reason don't go to a training class, it's great to have something to work towards with their dog so they can achieve something.

But because of what happened to Zane when he went running towawrds the road, I just think it's more important to train things like down from a distance that teaching them to give paw and jump through hoops.

Also, I get very cynical when I see things like this on the internet. In the US do they have any regulatory body for this? It does state in the site that one can work towards their versatility title (?) with this. I haven't heard of this so assume we don't have it here.

Also, there's nothing to stop someone over here doing something very similar, without being regulated. They could earn a lot of money from people who if they have to send in videos, mut be good at dog trick training but if what they get at the end of it is worthless, they've wasted their money.
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2011, 10:03 AM
My friend in Spain has just titled his Dog & become a listed instructor via this site. I think it's a good thing for people who live in countries where Dog training groups are far & few between, or people who live out in the sticks.
I looked on there to get some new trick ideas to try over winter & was surprised to see we're already doing some of the advanced behaviours as part of ordinary training.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Sorry - I obviously didn't make myself very clear. I wasn't suggesting that people shouldn't do it if they want to. It's just not for me.

I agree that for kids or people who for whatever reason don't go to a training class, it's great to have something to work towards with their dog so they can achieve something.

But because of what happened to Zane when he went running towawrds the road, I just think it's more important to train things like down from a distance that teaching them to give paw and jump through hoops.

with this.Also, I get very cynical when I see things like this on the internet. In the US do they have any regulatory body for this? It does state in the site that one can work towards their versatility title (?) I haven't heard of this so assume we don't have it here.

Also, there's nothing to stop someone over here doing something very similar, without being regulated. They could earn a lot of money from people who if they have to send in videos, mut be good at dog trick training but if what they get at the end of it is worthless, they've wasted their money.
yeh, thats the thing though you actually do gain a lot of stuff like that through trick training! You are relying on the dog to perform and as you get better at it (together) the dog can be 'working' a good distance away and all from using the most subtle of signals that an audience may not even see! They become very attuned to their owners and of course obedience becomes fun! For example, you need down before a rollover, you need a hold/take it before a put the toys away, fall and break your arm and its not so bad if the dog carries the bag for you......the list is endless. I am, of course, no where near this and those are only examples. But even when we got jammed up in a busy bus a 'turn' came in useful as did 'back' 'go' etc

A trick dog can do a contraband search as can a 'working' dog, I don't see one as more important than the other for a pet dog.

As for regulating it, you wont get anywhere using harsh methods anyway and the girl knows her stuff. I have watched her videos of her competing and winning in competitions in the states then onwards from there. Basically all they are doing is providing a certificate from an independent body to say your dog can do this...

If someone chooses to do it here what would it matter? Would it make a difference if it was the kennel club or a trick trainer with experience that set it up?

Trick training is much bigger in the states so I think that may be a breed clubs versatility award? Like over here where a breed club may record points for a 'dog/bitch of the year' type thing? I don't know if its actually anything to do with the AKC, I haven't looked into it much.
They have programmes dedicated to it etc, we dont really have anything like that on our screens much.

Originally Posted by *Lorraine* View Post
My friend in Spain has just titled his Dog & become a listed instructor via this site. I think it's a good thing for people who live in countries where Dog training groups are far & few between, or people who live out in the sticks.
I looked on there to get some new trick ideas to try over winter & was surprised to see we're already doing some of the advanced behaviours as part of ordinary training.

Good for him!
Yep, a lot of the 'big tricks' is just pulling behaviours together in sequence.

We are very much beginners and its something that we just do as a little thing now and again...you know how it is, but its fun and the dog likes it so I see it as a good thing. If they like learning and they dont mind what they learn then why not tricks?

We are not the most elegant or exact with ours but so what, he doesnt mind
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >