View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Maybe I have a nasty suspicious mind, but is this initiative because more and more dog owners are becoming wise to the over-vaccination of dogs?
Like that most vax are licenced for use for every 3 years by the manufacturers for a start - NOT annually?
Or that the lepto one only covers certain strains (do you know which strain is common in your area?)
Or that it is recommended that elderly or immune-system compromised dogs are not vaccinated?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Maybe I have a nasty suspicious mind, but is this initiative because more and more dog owners are becoming wise to the over-vaccination of dogs?
Like that most vax are licenced for use for every 3 years by the manufacturers for a start - NOT annually?
Or that the lepto one only covers certain strains (do you know which strain is common in your area?)
Or that it is recommended that elderly or immune-system compromised dogs are not vaccinated?
dont think so.. amnesty's have been around as long as ive worked as a vn.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Might be, but I know dogs who have never been vacc'd so maybe getting them dog wouldn't hurt, and maybe having it cheaper will encourage owners to do it, even if its just the initinial vaccs, there also doing rabbits and cats too which I think could be great, as maybe it will mean animals that have never been to the vets will get there.
sabinahine
New Member!
Female 

27-04-2011, 03:53 PM
May 2011 is National Vaccination Month, the ideal time to restore your dog’s protection against the most important infectious diseases.
During National Vaccination Month participating vets will give your dog a full primary course of vaccination for the price of a booster, plus a free health check.
You can locate participating vets and print a voucher here. Your dog must be over 18 months of age and must not have been vaccinated within the last 18 months. Terms and conditions apply.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 05:50 PM
I was interested to read in one of your links that..
If your dog hasn’t been vaccinated in the last 18 months, its immunity to any or all of the diseases shown on this page may have lapsed.

There`s a really good article in Dogs Today this month about over-vaccinating dogs, and why some vets believe immunity lasts a lot longer than a year.
It`s a good read.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 06:21 PM
I was interested to read in one of your links that..
If your dog hasn’t been vaccinated in the last 18 months, its immunity to any or all of the diseases shown on this page may have lapsed.

There`s a really good article in Dogs Today this month about over-vaccinating dogs, and why some vets believe immunity lasts a lot longer than a year.
It`s a good read.
ive read that!!! found it very interesteng indeed
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2011, 06:29 PM
My vet does this sometimes. They sent one to Simon a few years ago, as he was on their records, but hadn't been for his booster for two years. They charge just the price of a booster for the full vaccination.

I suppose that for people who have forgotten, or are struggling for money, it can't be a bad thing, if you agree to vaccinations?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 07:54 PM
My dogs always have their initial set of vaccinations, and then that's it, no more. It is not a matter of cost for me, but more a matter of what I consider to be in my dogs' best interests, and I personally believe that annual boosters are totally unnecessary and maybe even dangerous. I know the risks I am taking regarding Leptospirosis and Parvo, but I have weighed up the pros and the cons very carefully, and I have decided not to vaccinate annually.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 04:26 PM
I think it is so difficult to know what is for the best sometimes ref vaccinations. I am certainly in two minds.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 04:34 PM
If a dog has had his puppy vacs and is just a little late with the boosters then why do vets insist on doing the fully puppy course all over again anyways??
I was always under the impression that you did the two sets with a puppy incase the immunity from his mother was still in his system and killed off the first vacination

With an adult dog that is not an issue and so I cannot understand why there is the need for the 2nd injection?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >