Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 03:35 PM

Smoking.

a friend of mine her dog had to be PTS today. she was having an op and they had found her lungs full of cancer. so obviously my friend gave her permission for her to be PTS.
but i know my friend is a really heavy smoker. could her dog of developed the cancer through the 2nd hand smoke????
obviously when i speak to my friend i wont say this to her. shes upset enough as it is.
R.I.P Paris
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 03:39 PM
why not?? thats why i feel awful when i see dogs sat in rooms when people smoke, its just like smoking around kids in my opinion!
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2010, 03:50 PM
I agree I'm a smoker and I don't smoke around my children or my animals.

The way I see it is I choose to smoke they don't or can't.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
why not?? thats why i feel awful when i see dogs sat in rooms when people smoke, its just like smoking around kids in my opinion!
Originally Posted by Ang3l View Post
I agree I'm a smoker and I don't smoke around my children or my animals.

The way I see it is I choose to smoke they don't or can't.
I agree. Smoking around animals is just as repulsive as smoking around children
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
she lost her old JR only a couple of months ago. so was feeling sad about him dying. now shes lost another dog. dont think me saying hey u know u probably killed your dog because of your smoking. ive known her a very long time. and she would just fall to bits at that news. so i dont think ill be saying that.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by bens mum View Post
she lost her old JR only a couple of months ago. so was feeling sad about him dying. now shes lost another dog. dont think me saying hey u know u probably killed your dog because of your smoking. ive known her a very long time. and she would just fall to bits at that news. so i dont think ill be saying that.
Maybe when the time is right you could delicately talk to her about it? Especially if she gets another dog, as it would be awful if she were to cause another ones death.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 04:39 PM
maybe just say something along the lines of, maybe they were prone to cancer and stopping smoking around them may help prevent it....that way it not definately her fault and she may feel as though she may be able to prevent it....

its difficult to broach and i know when i was a teenager i had a crafty fag out my bedroom window when Goldie was in my room ONCE! she died years later of a lung tumour....

I still feel guilty for thinking that maybe that one bit of fag smoke may have triggered it, unlikely i know, but still, it niggles at me so i know how guilty and awful she would feel. But it still needs broaching with her.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Primary Lung Cancer in dogs is quite rare, however I had 3 dogs die with this, they were owned in partnership & lived not with me but my partner & her hubby who were both very heavy smokers. I was a smoker, but never smoked around my dogs & gave up in 1970 & have never smoked since
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 06:41 PM
The vet nurse who ran the animal first aid course I went on earlier this year warned that animals are indeed at risk of developing lung cancer from second hand smoke, after all their lungs are much smaller than ours.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Remember those poor Beagles they used to test it on? if it didn`t affect them, they wouldn`t have used them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >