Our sister sites
Our sister sites
trish48
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Poorly tummy

My girl is poorly again.
I am at my wits end, i just dont know what is causing the problems which seem to happen every 3 to 4 weeks.
She has 1 tin of Butchers in a morning and at teatime JWB complete, which she doesnt really eat and is picky with it.
What is happening is that when i come down in the morning on one of these occasions she is shaking, wont eat her breakfast and has bitten small holes in her blanket, her tummy ,makes lots of gurgling noises and she almost looks as though she has got griping pains in her tummy, all she wants to do is rush into the garden and eat grass, then she just sleeps all morning. Usually next day she seems back to normal, then it happens all over again a few weeks later, i have spoken to the vet, but she said terriers are prone to this sore tummy, but i havent heard of any one else with this problem, does anyone think i should put her on Chappie.
Sorry for going on but i feel so worried.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Poor thing and it must be a big worry for you.

It's a strange one isn't it? It sounds like she is hungry and wants her food, but is gettig anxious about eating for some reason?

Are her teeth okay & nothing stuck in her throat? Just pondered if there could be something other than a sore tum causing her reluctance to eat.

If your vet isn't being overly helpful, I think I'd get a second opinion and ask them to investigate more thoroughly.

Hope you find out what it is soon xx
pointyhound
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I don't want to speculate and worry you, but if it's been going on for a while your vet should be taking it a bit more seriously. A simple blood test could rule out a few things.

My dog was the same and my vet said he's just a stressed dog and he's making himself ill. We tried different foods thinking it was allergies and really delayed getting treatment because of the vets dodgy opinion.

Not happy with the same reply every few weeks for months I got a recommendation for a different vet the other side of town. He immediately tested for vital organ function and found the problem (pancreas). With treatment he is a different dog - not stressed because he's not ill.

I'm not saying your dog has the same problem, but if it keeps continuing and your dog is loosing condition, it needs investigation.

x
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Your vet should also be testing a stool sample.
If you are worried, insist on a blood test and stool sample test, after all, you are paying your vet
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi Trish I was just looking at your previous posts and it seems to me your dog was eating well then started having tummy problems in Febuary. You also mentioned her being lethargic then? So it seems this problem has been going on for a little while now .

Originally Posted by trish48 View Post
My girl is poorly again.
I am at my wits end, i just dont know what is causing the problems which seem to happen every 3 to 4 weeks.
She has 1 tin of Butchers in a morning and at teatime JWB complete, which she doesnt really eat and is picky with it.
What is happening is that when i come down in the morning on one of these occasions she is shaking, wont eat her breakfast and has bitten small holes in her blanket, her tummy ,makes lots of gurgling noises and she almost looks as though she has got griping pains in her tummy, all she wants to do is rush into the garden and eat grass, then she just sleeps all morning. Usually next day she seems back to normal, then it happens all over again a few weeks later, i have spoken to the vet, but she said terriers are prone to this sore tummy, but i havent heard of any one else with this problem, does anyone think i should put her on Chappie.
Sorry for going on but i feel so worried.
Is she actually being sick , has she lost weight, what are her poos like. The fact that this problem doesn't happen all the time is a good thing, in serious medical conditions the 'being poorly' is often continuous.

I would make sure she has something to eat last thing at night, my dog has to have something at 10.30 otherwise she has a gurgly tummy, wants to rush out and eat grass and is then sick and uncomfortable in the early morning (caused we think by an excess of bile building up when she is immobile for a long period overnight. ) . I give her three chicken biscuits made be Pero.

I don't see that switching your dog to chappie (do it gradually though over a few days) could do any harm. Have you tried soaking the JWB to make it more appetising, maybe add a bit of the wet food to it too . Instead of JBW which she isn't eating it might be worth feeding her Chappie or Butchers for her second meal too so that she isn't going so long without food.
Perhaps consider one of the new raw based diets too like Darlings..

http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/ingredients.php

If she is losing weight or vomiting I would ask the vet to do some tests.
Browndogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2010, 05:33 PM
That sounds worrying for you, especially if it's been going on for a while. I'd go back to my vets or seek a second opinion or even both.

My boy had recurring ear infections and everytime I took him to the vets I just kept being given the same drops and by the time I had decided enough was enough and sought a second opinion the ear infections had caused both his ear drums to rupture and it took a lot of effort (and money) to sort out. So I'm all in favour of second opinions - the sooner the better.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 05:58 PM
It`s easy to change vets BTW - you just take your dog to another vet and her record is faxed through as a rule.
I`d be worried if my dog was having regular colic. It certainly needs investigating.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 08:04 PM
oh that sounds like such a worry! i hope you find out what is causing it.

i would change vets if i were you, my vets have messed me around so much with jakes allergies. i wish i changed vets right at the beginning, i am still with them but they told me to put him on a special diet and sent me on my way... with no help at all! they are useless and i think i will take him to a different vets when he needs to go back.
pointyhound
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Hi, Just come back on to see how things are and noticed Minihahas post.

Don't want to tread on your toes as global mod you must be quite knowledgable
But.... some serious conditions can be intermittent to start with. My dogs pancreas problems were and were often masked by a change of food giving temporary releif because we were changing to an easier digestible food each time.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by pointyhound View Post
Hi, Just come back on to see how things are and noticed Minihahas post.

Don't want to tread on your toes as global mod you must be quite knowledgable
But.... some serious conditions can be intermittent to start with. My dogs pancreas problems were and were often masked by a change of food giving temporary releif because we were changing to an easier digestible food each time.
Hi Jim No problem with my toes and being a GM isn't really about being knowlegable . I quite agree some serious conditions can be intermittent that is why I said ....

Is she actually being sick , has she lost weight, what are her poos like. The fact that this problem doesn't happen all the time is a good thing, in serious medical conditions the 'being poorly' is often continuous
... I was more thinking along the lines of the fact that the dog is not poorly all the time is a good thing in as much as it does rather rule out number of serious conditions in which the dog is continuously ill or actually deteriorates , it does not exclude all serious medical conditions though and I don't think I said that.
In many serious conditions including pancreatitis there are usually some other symptoms particularly vomiting and diarrhoea that is why I asked about other things too.
I was hoping the OP would answer the questions to give a fuller picture (and more reasons to challenge her vet.)

I too had a dog with a similar problem last year (but she also had intermittent diarrhoea and vomiting) and having recently lost a nine month old puppy with kidney failure and knowing Schnauzers are susceptible to pancreatitis I was really worried and asked the vet to test for it. Thankfully the test was negative. Whatever the cause she recovered but still can't go for long periods without food or she is sick.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >