View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 09:32 PM
The point of the box is that the dog decides what you want, if you start with an idea it negates that.

I wouldn't do that with Woody, I know how Etta throws stuff at me and how confusing it can be and I've been clicking for a while.

George was the same, they are so quick and they get frustrated if you are not on the ball, My collies have been different, its difficult to explain and I thought George was unusual (I still think she was in a lot of ways but in some she was a springer!)

I really liked Karen Priors latest book, loads of interesting stuff in it and it came at just the right time for me---added to which she was on a list answering questions about it.

One I asked was about the difference between Celt and Etta in coping with lots of things, Celt simply can't do it, he gets lost and confused. She OTOH can. She pointed out that I had answered my own question and that different animals worked differently.

rune
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:18 PM
just found some very rubbish vid of montana doing his clicker training, its a bit dark and rubbish, he was learing to lift legs on a vocal command or a visual cue ..eg me lifting my leg,
he was just recovering from a leg injury at the time this vid was taken and was still very stiff,
bless his big smelly bum.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=100_4392.flv
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:32 PM
That was really interesting, because it was dark I couldn't see properly and got confused with the talking. Were you clicking when you asked him to walk back as well?

Have you taken it any further?

rune
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
That was really interesting, because it was dark I couldn't see properly and got confused with the talking. Were you clicking when you asked him to walk back as well?

Have you taken it any further?

rune
when I asked him to walk back he offered the leg I had been asking for all along lol, but I did click for walk back as well, to be fair to monty he new all this stuff before he had time off due to injury, we did that session to see how he felt about weight bearing on either front leg,
sadly due to his injury and age I didnt finish training him to bow, I still do stuff with him with the clicker but not the same sort of stuff, he doesn more marker type stuff now and some fun stuff, {hes getting on a bit bless him}

we will use it with polly though, shes coming along nicely with her schooling so will prob do some stuff with her in the summer,.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:51 PM
You'll have to video that as well.

rune
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Well we've been doing it for two weeks now and he can ''touch'' (my hand), ''bring'' (toy to me) and I am now teaching him to click to heel, get his focus when outside and to stand on a stool (incredible that one, after 20 minutes she had his front paws on a stool!)

Does anyone know where I can get the Mary Ray clicker tricks book form? I've googled it but can't find anything.

Also, with his sensitive tum I've been careful about what I'm giving him but I really need to get some higher value food for him. Any suggestions? What do you all use?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Well we've been doing it for two weeks now and he can ''touch'' (my hand), ''bring'' (toy to me) and I am now teaching him to click to heel, get his focus when outside and to stand on a stool (incredible that one, after 20 minutes she had his front paws on a stool!)

Does anyone know where I can get the Mary Ray clicker tricks book form? I've googled it but can't find anything.

Also, with his sensitive tum I've been careful about what I'm giving him but I really need to get some higher value food for him. Any suggestions? What do you all use?
What foods is he sensitive to? would dried fish skins work? or dried liver? or small bits of chicken or mince (both bland)?

Tripe sticks seem to be the holy grail for my dogs, but not sure they would work for a dog with a sensitive tum!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
What foods is he sensitive to? would dried fish skins work? or dried liver? or small bits of chicken or mince (both bland)?

Tripe sticks seem to be the holy grail for my dogs, but not sure they would work for a dog with a sensitive tum!
God knows!! I've given up asking the vet for answers as am wondering whether she's right and we just wont know.

Is tripe beef? I'd like to avoid anything too protein based as this is what she suggested it might be (a protein type intolerance).

I've thought about buying haddock, cooking it and cutting it into small bits as this is what he's currently on but want some more suggestions if there are any.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
God knows!! I've given up asking the vet for answers as am wondering whether she's right and we just wont know.

Is tripe beef? I'd like to avoid anything too protein based as this is what she suggested it might be (a protein type intolerance).

I've thought about buying haddock, cooking it and cutting it into small bits as this is what he's currently on but want some more suggestions if there are any.
Dried fish skins might work then if he is ok with fish. Check out the Fish4Dogs website.

Tripe is intestines of some sort...stinks to high heaven!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Hey sounds like you are getting on great!!

I use everything and anything
I would suggest start with something and see what happens if that is the only diet change, give a tiny bit one day, if all is well the next day give a little more, then more the next day. If after a week there is no ill effect then thats a treat you can use
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >