Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 12:58 PM

And we're out...*more Swallows*

Well - they've made it out into the big wide world - there are some funny moments with them perfecting thier landings etc but its amazing really how fast they learn - or have to. The parents have done well to get the 4 of them out.

However - life can be harsh when you ahve 4 mouths to feed and only one of your own...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 01:06 PM
OHHHHH pure joy!!!! Well done yet again for capturing those wonderful moments!!

Do they stay with us all summer and then make their long journey back, or will they be leaving again soon, having only come over here to breed? Sorry, but I'm a bit ignorant on this one!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 02:31 PM
They are with us all summer but have just come to breed as far as I am aware...they will have another clutch this year I'd imagine (this is the second lot) and there are some younger - or maybe less experienced ones that still have some in the nest.

By the time they are ready lo leave - mid september (ish) they all line up on the wire and practise take offs - its quite sad to see them go really as it kind of signals the end of summer, they will start lining up (will get some pictures if I remeber) then 2 days later will be gone. THey really get up some good ....I want to say swarms...but I don't think that is the right word.

THese four have done really well - I have never seen them get so many out - usually its one or 2 but these guys are all going strong, they have a good start, which is good as they have a hellish journey to make!
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird.../migration.asp
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 05:45 PM
fantastic photos, loved seeing those x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for sharing, they are gorgeous