Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rescue Remedies
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

30-05-2009, 10:13 PM

Derek, 14 month old Staffie needs home!

Derek, 14 month old Staffie needs home!

His Story: Found stray at about 6 months and came into rescue. Discovered he was deaf and taken home by one of the staff as a foster. Homed after several months in with another dog. Wife decided 6 months later 2 dogs were 'too much', but the original rescue couldn't take him back so we came forwards for him.

Salient points: Bright, intelligent and highly social chap. Deaf, but alert and responds to gestural communication and relates through other dog's body language. Neutered, chipped and vax'd.

Advert: Derek is a bright spark! He is an English Bull Terrier cross Staffie we think and was born deaf. He is highly sociable and adores dogs and people. We haven't cat tested him. Such is Derek's appeal we think he is merely staying for breakfast! He won't be with us for long as once met he'll 'win the heart'. Derek has been neutered, vax'd and chipped. Derek is in excellent health and condition.

Derek makes his deafness seem highly incidental. He however does need company as he is alert and associated within his pack. Always lived with another dog since he was 6 months old and perhaps before then. So we are looking for a pack who will welcome Derek with his cheerful and engaging disposition. He will bring interest and joy into his new pack that's for sure.

"Please note that this dog is currently in kennels and is also available for foster until a 'forever' home is found".

Rescue Remedies
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

09-06-2009, 07:51 PM
An update from Derek’s thread by one of our volunteer dog walkers:

Today I walked Derek for the first time and I am in love! I really think he is a lovely dog, he's definitely English Bull Terrier mixed with Staffy cos he has the little bald patch on his forehead EBTs get when they are teenagers! And he does exactly what my EBT (who is deaf) does, he lies flat on his front in the grass and pulls himself along with his back legs flat to the floor, its so sweet!

If I could have a dog at my flat I would have Derek. There isn't much difference with a deaf dog because dogs use their nose and eyes so much and they read body language so well that they are easy to train!

For a young dog he's very calm, easy to get his lead and harness thing on too, he didn't jump up or anything. Also he didn't pull on the lead! The perfect companion.

Because he's got Staffy in him he's got a great loving side to him too, very cuddly and he sat right next to me on the grass for a break in the walk. Here are some photos of the day

Thats the english bull terrier stretch!

Rescue Remedies
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

23-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Derek has now found his forever home and is living by the seaside!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 11:14 AM
That is good news, he is such a lovely boy x
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Thank goodness for that I'm smitten!!
He's gorgeous, hope he settles in well
Mum To Many