View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Am I odd ? When we get a new dog/older pup they are kept very much at arms length until we know each other I think it was 4/5 months before we let Duncan lick our faces not that we are particulalry scared of dogs generally but I always want to be sure we can predict what they will do.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Krusewalker- if you never rehome with children i presume you only rehome those dogs housed with animals. yet if they were rehoming due to not getting on with the children they may lie or extend the truth to make sure you (or any resuce) takes the dog on?
ATD x
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I agree that the dog doesn't look thin or in bad shape at all. Sadly, I think this is a case of huge naivety on the parents part here. We all have to learn and hindsight is a wonderful thing. I know since I've been involved in fostering, I have learnt far more and I considered myself pretty knowledgeable about dogs! The rescue are also to blame and should never have allowed an unassessed dog to be placed in a family home.

I was only allowed to take my latest foster straight from the pound because he had been there for 6 weeks and they had a good history of his behaviour. Plus the fact he is only 3 months old too. Important factors in knowing about a dog with no background info.

I totally agree that the family were wrong to give the dog 'free run' of the house immediately but they obviously felt they were doing the right thing. It's deeply sad, a life lost and a child who has had a terrible experience with a dog. I just hope his physiological scars heal in time too.

Also please don't lets have a Sharpei bashing session coming out of this. It's deed not breed. I know at least 5 of these dogs and they are just lovely, playful and friendly.
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Such a sad story

If I ever found a stray dog.... or didn't know a particular dogs history.... I would be causious. It certanly wouldn't have free run of the house and be snuggling on the couch next to me..... even more so if their was kids in the house. I would prob put it in a safe place away from everybody.....
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Krusewalker- if you never rehome with children i presume you only rehome those dogs housed with animals. yet if they were rehoming due to not getting on with the children they may lie or extend the truth to make sure you (or any resuce) takes the dog on?
ATD x
i didnt say we never rehomed rescue dogs with children.

im no too sure i understand the bit i have underlined.

if the told us lies dog being unsafe with kids or othet similar bad aggression issues, the opposite would more likely occur - we wouldnt take the dog

not that many people actually lie.
its like the dumping dogs at xmas percepetion - its overstated.
didnt get on with kids, the opposite would occ
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
The NAWT in Cornwall took and still take any strays and don't have the kennelling contract. he RSPCA don't (or didn't ) take strays and one other rescue does take them.

It used to be that one part of the county would pay for the innoculations and the other had the dogs done themselves before handover.

Pippin was taken to a holding kennel and I picked him up straight from there and he then disappeared of the radar to all intents and purposes!

George and Flighty were both strays. Albeit Flight was a stray from the hunt!

rune
i worked for the NAWT

its not quite the process

the whole of the NAWT, including my job of arranging this for the watford branch, would be emailed lists by the southampton dog warden re the strays they had kept in their own coucnil kennels (pound) for the 7 days and that their were looking for rescues to take on.

i posted that other rescues may take strays.
as some rescues will have LA kennelling contracts.
the RSPCA works this way as well, on a branch by branch basis.

any rescue without a kennelling contract can come to an individual arrangment on a per dog basis with a local dog warden.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-12-2010, 04:00 PM
My sister after reading this story said this is why she would not rescue a dog you dont really know whats gone on before .
I am sure it will put doubt in certain peoples
minds about where they source their dogs..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 04:39 PM
And so they should!

After all we bang on about people purchasing pups off reputable breeders who conduct the relevant health checks and who put temperament as a high priority! Why should have different standards for rescue/rehomed dogs?

Bonkers!

I would never take in a dog that was not 100% with small children in the house.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i worked for the NAWT

its not quite the process

the whole of the NAWT, including my job of arranging this for the watford branch, would be emailed lists by the southampton dog warden re the strays they had kept in their own coucnil kennels (pound) for the 7 days and that their were looking for rescues to take on.

i posted that other rescues may take strays.
as some rescues will have LA kennelling contracts.
the RSPCA works this way as well, on a branch by branch basis.

any rescue without a kennelling contract can come to an individual arrangment on a per dog basis with a local dog warden.
We worked EXACTLY as I said.

Since the head office take over when the new building happened and a new manager came in it may or may not be different.

I know you worked for them.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Polly was brought in by her owners who filled the form in and said she was OK with children and had lived with them. We very soon found out that she bit and when I decided to keep her I had the luxury of ringing her previous owners to find out a little more.

The mother told me they had been worried she would bite the kids and that was why she was given up. She had also bitten several neighbours, vets and their dog trainer. None of that was on the form.

People do lie.

rune
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >