Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post

Seriously though, I thought christmas was about spending even more time with family.....
I don't see where fairydust is required for that.

And as an atheist, it will never be about religion.
With all due respect, it is about religion for many other people, although it may not be for you.
My Pagan friends celebrate it as the winter solstice, and Christian ones celebrate it as a religious festival.
It`s nice that you see it as a family event - but it has other meanings for other people.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 06:17 PM
I expect its cos you encourage it, or because they aren't as observant as I was.

My brother used to designate me present finder, when my parents were watching tv or something in the livingroom, as I had stealth capabilities lol. In other words, I snook around, I found, I reported and never got caught.

Outsmart the adults, one of my favourite christmas/birthday games.

Seriously though, I thought christmas was about spending even more time with family that get on your nerves lol, watching crap tv from decades before I was even born, and giving in good will. Oh, and don't forget the board games.

I don't see where fairydust is required for that.

And as an atheist, it will never be about religion.
Each to their own

The highlighted part made me laugh as my lot are as fly as a barrel of monkeys Sometimes I think life would be simpler if they were slightly less smart.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
I understand everyone has an opinion but you will never know the magic of having a young child at Christmas time unless you have them.

Did you out of interest have grumpy parents at christmas?
Whilst we were young, no not really, as we got older however, the cracks in the facade got larger and less effort was made to hide them. Though that was all year round.

Think my issue with christmas was being expected to hang around with the relatives for most of the day, when what I really wanted was to be left to my own devices. I've always been in intravert, so when not playing with those I considered to be friends, I prefered to be left alone to do my own thing, wether that be indoors or outdoors.

Its not something my families ever understood.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Whilst we were young, no not really, as we got older however, the cracks in the facade got larger and less effort was made to hide them. Though that was all year round.

Think my issue with christmas was being expected to hang around with the relatives for most of the day, when what I really wanted was to be left to my own devices. I've always been in intravert, so when not playing with those I considered to be friends, I prefered to be left alone to do my own thing, wether that be indoors or outdoors.

Its not something my families ever understood.
I do believe we are all a product of our upbringing sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad.

So what do you do at christmastime?
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
With all due respect, it is about religion for many other people, although it may not be for you.
My Pagan friends celebrate it as the winter solstice, and Christian ones celebrate it as a religious festival.
It`s nice that you see it as a family event - but it has other meanings for other people.
Yes and, whats your point, I wasn't having a go, I was simply stating that it may have less significants to me, for that reason.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
I do believe we are all a product of our upbringing sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad.

So what do you do at christmastime?
As I'm off out right now, I'll answer you when I return.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Has it ever struck you that "Santa" is an anagram of "Satan"? ....takes all the attention from Jesus in my opinion!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
Weel i dont have kids but i am sure when i do my opinion on this will not change.
It's really hard though, when they start mixing with other kids and going to pre-schools/nurseries/toddler groups/schools, etc. because they want to be like their friends. Would you, for example, refuse to sign the form that allows the school to take your child to the local postbox to post a letter to Santa when all their friends will be doing it? You may want to refuse on principle but that makes the child miss out on an activity. To coin a phrase - it's tough being a parent.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Has it ever struck you that "Santa" is an anagram of "Satan"? ....takes all the attention from Jesus in my opinion!
Doesn't it mean "Saint"?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Yes and, whats your point, I wasn't having a go, I was simply stating that it may have less significants to me, for that reason.
My point? My point of view, simply. I didn`t know it was a debate.
Page 6 of 17 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »