Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 09:26 AM

Help With Toileting!

As some of you know, from my thread in Dog Health, Gracie is currently living in the house.

She has never been in a house in her life, so isn't toilet trained, which isn't a problem, I'll tackle it somehow.

She doesn't like going to the toilet anywhere but her kennel, and obviously, this is a bit of a problem now. I've taken her outside loads, and she just won't go. She doesn't go when I walk her, and the only time she will go someplace other than her kennel is when she is out on a shoot day.

What can I do to encourage her to go outside? If it is to become a permant thing, her living in the house, then she is going to have to learn to use the lawn!

Help!

x
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2009, 10:40 AM
no experience sorry but seems like will have to be back to basics, she will have to go sometime in the garden (she will if she's desperate enough) then treats, praise, clicks, make it brilliant, she will soon get it, you may have to stand in the garden waiting.......for hours xxx
jones
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I had similar concerns with Jones my dog, as he's not know domastic living, always been in kennels until we took him on...

We went back to basics puppy training in the main..

what we have found though is that Jones as yet will not toilet when we are out walking will wait until we get home...

He uses only one area of the garden, which is fenced on two sides and has the shed run along the third side... this has got me pondering does this behaviour stem from being kennelled? Thinking about it, kennels are basically only open at one end, the rest is secure walling so I'm wondering if Jones just feels safer as though he's in a kennel as this smaller area of the garden is about the size of a very good kennel run?

Have you got part of your garden that is or could be made similar to an kennel run to see if it's safety she seeks?
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Just a simple suggestion here, but couldnt you just teach her the 'wee' command. Keep going out with her every house or so, or when you think she needs to go. And when she does give her a treat and make a huge fuss over her. Its exactly like puppy training but it worked with my friends dog?
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 12:40 PM
She shows no sign of wanting to go! I
put some paper down in the kitchen for her overnight, just in case, and she used it for a wee, and when ever I take her outside, she just walks around, has a sniff, walks some more, then go's and sits by the back door!

When I am walking the dogs, she will only ever go in the field, if we are quite far from the kennels, but because of the location of her stitches she isn't allowed to do any exercise at all really!

I might take her for a gentle stroll on a lead, and see if she does anything then!

My last resort is to bring in a slab of concrete and put in the kitchen, she might use that!!!

x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
She shows no sign of wanting to go! I
put some paper down in the kitchen for her overnight, just in case, and she used it for a wee, and when ever I take her outside, she just walks around, has a sniff, walks some more, then go's and sits by the back door!

When I am walking the dogs, she will only ever go in the field, if we are quite far from the kennels, but because of the location of her stitches she isn't allowed to do any exercise at all really!

I might take her for a gentle stroll on a lead, and see if she does anything then!

My last resort is to bring in a slab of concrete and put in the kitchen, she might use that!!!
x
you joke!! my mum didn't have any grass in her garden only block paving, when she moved house the dogs were 4 and 6 and never knew any different! they would not go on the grass in the new garden! she eventually had to add block paving to her garden and they happily went in the garden again! you may have concrete a bit!! lol!
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Many years ago I took my old dog, Zenta, to visit my then boyfriend and his father... They had an unfenced yard, so Zenta had to go potty on lead... He did not want to do anything... We were there from Friday afternoon till Sunday afternoon, and he did not wee or poo in all that time... and it wasn't for lack of opportunities, as I got quite stressed about it, thinking he would go inside...

When we got home Sunday afternoon, he went out in the back yard and peed and peed and peed...
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
Many years ago I took my old dog, Zenta, to visit my then boyfriend and his father... They had an unfenced yard, so Zenta had to go potty on lead... He did not want to do anything... We were there from Friday afternoon till Sunday afternoon, and he did not wee or poo in all that time... and it wasn't for lack of opportunities, as I got quite stressed about it, thinking he would go inside...

When we got home Sunday afternoon, he went out in the back yard and peed and peed and peed...
Gracie is going to be in the house for at least ten days! I hope she doesn't hold it in that long!!

To be honest, I am expecting to come downstairs tomorrow morning, to find I need to clean up the kitchen!!

x
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 04:16 PM
She's had a wee!!!! Outside on the grass!!

I've just fed her and will go and feed and walk the others and then will come back and let her out again!

Wish me luck!

x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2009, 05:53 PM
good luck!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >