Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 10:30 PM

Dog Hydrotherapy - Any experiences ?

HI all

Just wondered if anyone had ever experienced this with their dog - I am taking Bruno in two weeks for his first session ( recently diagnosed with hip dysplacia and vet recommended this form of complimentary therapy )

any advice etc appreciated
dani
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 10:32 PM
i dont have personal experience but my mums gsd was diagnosed with hip dysplacia when she was 1 and she has had fortnightly hydrotherapy ever since she loves it after some initial reluctance and is on no pain killers or any other drugs and runs round like a puppy so it must work
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi Dani
I asked this a while ago
id love to take mine but theyre both a pair of wimps and i dont think theyd get in
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Hi Brundog, I can't comment on the effect of H/T on H/D, but I know someone who used HT on a dog who was recovering from a broken pelvis (RTaccident) a Springer...with excellent results..and the dog loved it
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 11:27 AM
lel my mums dog rhia was terrieifed at first but was in the pool happily within a few sessions and she is scared of her own shadow she makes max look double hard so if she would do it i am sure yours would
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi one of mine had hydrotheraphy after he broke a bone in his front leg. Was very cautious as Rough Collies don't always like water. Anyhow he was fine and the treatment was fantastic. He was only about 5 mths when he had it.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:16 PM
fab - thanks so far -evryone seems quite positive about it - am sure the wee man will enjoy as he does like a bath and rivers so will see how he gets on and the woman running it sounds lovely

ta for your feedback
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Its also a great form of excercie and not just to help with injuries etc
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 05:49 PM
update -

we took Bruno to his first session yesterday and it went well. The girl was great - had a real affinity with dogs and bruno took to her after a couple of sausages !! LOL

he was only in the water for less than a minute as it was first attempt and she has a procvess to go through so as not to completely freak them out - He was terrified though - its just the whole cant feel the bottom help help !!

Did a doggie paddle, panicked and then got out - but was sniffing back around the pool and turned back to go back in again - so thats good

Back next week to go for a longer time period in the water this time - think he will quite like it - and gets a bath at the same time !! JOY

woudl highly recommend the experience !!

will post some piccies once he is less terrified !!
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-03-2005, 05:54 PM
I use to go with Harvey after a leg operation, he use to swim at 100mph and soak everybody. He also use to use an underwater treadmill. He went for months and it really did him some good and helped with the recovery from his op.

I have some pics somewhere, I'll post them when I find them