Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Charisma Love
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2006, 01:47 PM

puppy's first bath!

our 12 week old puppy will be getting his first bath tonight. He's very well behaved, but tends to freeze up in new situations so far, so we're trying to get his confidence up a bit. does anyone have any tips to make bathtime seems less scary for him if he gets all wimpery? he absolutely stinks from his littermates' and his own pee! we also thought the sooner we show him lots of new things the better.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Not bathing him without a bath mat if hes slipping about it will be more scary! Sounds daft but I used to get in the bath with Loki and tried to keep it fun, he loves baths and will cry outside door if I shower without him!!!
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 01:57 PM
i put an old towel in the bath to stand on and have some floating toys and small treats to make it fun, have fun let us now how it goes
Charisma Love
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2006, 02:01 PM
ah hah! see, I knew you guys would come up with obvious things I wouldn't have thought of! a bath mat!

great idea, I'll be sure to do all that and I'll post later to let you know how it goes
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 10:26 PM
I try to make sure its nice and warm so that they dont get too chilly and i usually fill in up to their tum,
Alfie and Daisy both love a bath.........particually Alfie.......but then he just LOVES EVERYTHING !!!!!!!! LOL!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 10:33 PM
am lucky here mine go in the sink when pups LOL
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by tink View Post
I try to make sure its nice and warm so that they dont get too chilly and i usually fill in up to their tum
Blimey I don't think our bath goes high enough! (Bongo's got quite a clearance )

Bongo had her first bath the other day at 6 months old. (We actually only washed her back end, due to her dreadful dire rear, but the wiries aren't supposed to be bathed at all.) We let her spend a good old time snuffling round the bathroom first, as she'd never been in there before, and when she got out we had some great fun with the towel Just make totally sure your pup dries quick and stays warm while drying out - they're not very good at regulating their own temperature at that age. A hot water bottle isn't the worst idea in the world, better that than let the little one get a chill.
Charisma Love
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2006, 10:07 AM
ooooh dear, well he didn't like that at all! he whined and barked and squirmed, and it took the two of us to hold him long enough for shampoo and he still stinks! ahh well, if he's anything like my cat or rats were then he can only get better
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Awwww bless him.
You'll find a good brush every day,keeps them pretty clean and i think less smelly after a while (its great for bonding too !) I give mine a brush Twice a day,Alfie always tries to get in there first. Baby wipes will p'haps help if hes still a bit smelly
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Make sure you get in between all those wrinkles properly dried as bacteria love a moist environment and that can be a real problem for the wrinkly breeds