Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2007, 11:20 AM

Proud of the dogs, Workmen Safe

I took the dogs out this morning and was taking the to a hill they love to run up & down for as long as they can. They were slightly in front of me so when i reached the top i saw them dart down this hill, it was then i saw 2 workmen at the bottom heads down working on some fencing at the bottom unaware of 4 quite large dogs, going full speed without breaks, The first thing i did was whistle to call them back, now they have never been taught to to come back to a whistle so i was very shocked when they did.

So the workmen were safe and we walked a different way. Now i am glad they did not charge full speed into them as it does hurt, but part of me would have like to have seen the carnage of 2 workmen and 4 dogs in a mangled heep.

I am glad i spotted them aswell as if the dogs were behind me a would have launched Stars dummy down the hill and you can bet if i did it would have hit them.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Ah bless. It's funny with whistles. Mine aren't trained to the whistle but I took them out with my friends five dogs whilst on holiday in Scotland who are all working dogs and trained to the whistle. I noticed mine were reacting to it and have used one ever since Think dogs just pick up on things very quickly.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Mine aren't trained to a whistle either but they do react ro it!
Becky
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Yup.. I like the whistle too and my two respond well to it.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2007, 11:37 AM
It made me laugh originally and I found it very confusing as I had three whistles all for different sets of dogs, the labs, the GSP and the cockers and I kept getting it wrong. Luckily mine just reacted to all three.
Within a couple of weeks they understood the whistles for come, down, sit etc. Put it with the hand signals and I look like some strange bird up on the hill whistling and flapping around
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2007, 01:06 PM
never used a whistle for ben,just use mouth whistle for him (and i do that badly LOL)
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2007, 06:24 PM
You paint a good picture with your story, sounds like it would have been fun to let them knock the workmen flying!! lol
I have a whistle too but I'm really crap at making it work so the dogs have learnt to answer to flying spit!!! lol

x
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by skjerstad View Post
You paint a good picture with your story, sounds like it would have been fun to let them knock the workmen flying!! lol
I have a whistle too but I'm really crap at making it work so the dogs have learnt to answer to flying spit!!! lol

x
If they had i would still be laughing now, might have to buy a whistle as my whistling is really poor.