Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 02:36 PM

Good places to visit in Edinburgh?

Am taking OH to Edinburgh (shhh, its a suprise!) next month for his 40th Birthday. We're there from the Friday morning to Sunday evening. Does any one know of some good places to visit? I've been told to try the underground town? We're flying up so will be using public transport while we're there so not to far out would be good. Thanks!
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Yep and Edinburgh Dungeons, Camera Obscura, Edinburgh Castle, Arthurs Seat, Hollyrood Palace, depends what you are into really There is so much to do there!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Not sure about recommendations for places as I just wandered around the town for a few hours, but remember to pack a coat and some toasty warm socks! It was very cold when I went up there last March.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
Yep and Edinburgh Dungeons, Camera Obscura, Edinburgh Castle, Arthurs Seat, Hollyrood Palace, depends what you are into really There is so much to do there!
These were all really good and we loved all of them when we went for our honeymoon. Also reccomed the ghost walks at night
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2010, 05:07 PM
You definitely need to do a ghost tour at night! You get some good stories and some of them go into the vaults (the underground city) anyway and it's sooo much spookier at night!

Otherwise it depends what you're into really... There's a zoo, botanic gardens, tours (open top bus ones are really good - get them from outside Waverley train station), the museums, as well as all those other tourist things mentioned above!

S x
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Not sure about recommendations for places as I just wandered around the town for a few hours, but remember to pack a coat and some toasty warm socks! It was very cold when I went up there last March.
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
These were all really good and we loved all of them when we went for our honeymoon. Also reccomed the ghost walks at night
Originally Posted by Sarah & Mike View Post
You definitely need to do a ghost tour at night! You get some good stories and some of them go into the vaults (the underground city) anyway and it's sooo much spookier at night!

Otherwise it depends what you're into really... There's a zoo, botanic gardens, tours (open top bus ones are really good - get them from outside Waverley train station), the museums, as well as all those other tourist things mentioned above!

S x
Thanks guys. Some really good ideas. I shall try and book the ghost walk, that sounds great!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Camera Obscura was brilliant!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Greyfriars Cemetery just as its getting dark LOL..
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 08:45 PM
hello depends what ur into really - where are you staying and will try and give you some restaurant recommendations too
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Kicks View Post
Camera Obscura was brilliant!
Just looked at that. It looks brilliant and gets really good reviews so will try and do that. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Greyfriars Cemetery just as its getting dark LOL..
Are you mental!!!

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
hello depends what ur into really - where are you staying and will try and give you some restaurant recommendations too

Restaurants would be great. was looking on line but its hard to know whats good. Want somewhere not to pricey but where can take OH for a nice meal on the Saturday evening. He's a bit of a meat man! We are staying at The Jurys Inn which I think is near the dungeons?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >