Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Hi Lauren,

There is loads of good info and advice on the thread here and it will take you ages to digest it. Firstly as someone not involved in the horrible situation you have been through, I think that people want to help you and are trying there best to get information and advice across in a post, you have been through a horrible experience and are emotionally charged so are a bit on edge and understandably might see things differently to how people intend thenmm to come across - thats the bad thing about forums, however the good thing is there is loads of support and advice

Ok, I will try and make this really concise. I agree with a lot of what has been said.
1) Get a collar - it may not have stopped the bite, but would have been your hand nt your face so although you would still have got a fright and been injured it would not be as severe as your face (I know I have been attacked on my face) so after the attack you will not be as wary as you are now, I gueess you may say you are not wary as it was so out of character but I know I am still wary if a dog comes to my face and thats 23 years after my attack. Subtle changes will happen you which can further confuse Jake - BUT you can work on this

2)Does EVERYONE in the house use the same commands? You may use "Down" meaning off but what about visitors, your family etc, would they ever say "oh Jake Sit DOWN" or "Jake go and Lie DOWN" It is bital that everyone uses the same commands ALL the time even visitors at this point in changing Jakes behaviour

3) Please stop picking Jake up at least for the foreseeable future, Picking up or attempting to be picked up now has a new set of circumstances surrounding it. It may well have been great up to now but fronm the time of the attack there is a new step in that process - the bite. It may well never happen again but that step is now a wee pathway in Jakes Brain. This is more significant if there is pain involved but is not to be dismissed even if no pain. Also the same goes for everyone in the family

4)You say you don't understand as picking up, tapping etc has always been tolerated, even liked up to the attack, I hope this does not come across as preaching or patronising but try to see it as similar to a young boy, he likes cuddles from his mum, he enjoys getting a kiss goodbye or a kiss hello from her but then 1 day he decides he is too old for that and shuns away from this he no longer likes it. Now I am not giving Jake human thought processes I am just using this as an analogy, to try to show that even with a complex( ) human brain the association or love of something can change so for Jake a similar thing could have happened

Also the tapping, I do not think for a minute you are beating Jake and I know you are not so please don't worry about that, again try to see it as association, soeone else explained it well, he now HAS to act on the 2nd not the FIRST command, so why not find out what the THIRD command will be - like your mum asks you do the dishes most times you will, one day you can't be bothered so she says you can't go out if you don't so off you go to do the dishes, the next time you take to long to start the dishes(or for Jake to get OFF) she says well you are not going out(you tap Jake), and the time after that if you don't do the dishes(Jake won't get off) she says you're not going out (you tapo Jake) One day you'll say "Fine I am not going out then"(Jake decides to ignore the tap)

Hopefully you see whaat I mean - the next time you may well do the dishes when asked (Jake may get off when asked) but 2 weeks later you might decide you can't be bothered (Jake decides to wait for the tap a he knows it will happen) Hope that makes sense

NILF is great everything is earned a game, a treat, a pat, even a meal - it can be as simple as sitting before getting a bowl of food but it has to be for EVERYTHING. Jake gets nothing for free (as the name suggests)

5)Don't want to dwell on this, but as you have mentioned in previous posts your own confidence in yourself has been shattered a bit just now, and this is not a criticism at all, but if you lack a wee bit of confidence in you Jake will to. Now, after what you have been through its natural for you to be feeling like this and the good news is you and Jake can work together to build confidence in each other but it has to start TODAY.

6)Get the vets to get this skin prob sorted, it may not be at the root of this event but you can bet that its dam annoying for him, I know you have been to the vet and tried really hard but INSIST that its tested, examined and sorted. Again your own lack of confidence amy lead you to accept what the vet says and the treatment suggested. Question it ask what else is available and when you help relkieve Jakes soreness you will gain confidence from that.

7)Formal training, classes, fun stuff all that will strengthen the bond. i know you and Jake have a good bond but the events ofthe last few days have changed that, it needs to be remoulded Love and cuddles is all well and good and great fun for both of you but you also need to introduce rules, boundaries and accepted behaivour.

Negative actions = being ignored - the worst "punishment" for a dog, being left in a room, back turned on them, no eye contact, being "pushed" away. (by pushed I don't mean flung on the floor but gently removing him from you etc. I would however suggest using the long line for this purpose to avoid any further possibility of biting (particularly at the minute.

Gee this was going to be concise

Sorry, you have so much to deal with and so much to try and take in and digest. Just remember that everyone wants to help you and Jake and we want to hear how you get on

Also everyone has different ways and means, but they are all based around consistency, Respect for owner from dog and for dog from owner, and trust,(I know you are working really hard to achieve all these things), you will get through this and you'll learn valuable lessons.

Take care and hugs
Fabulous well written post, well done!!
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Crikey I haven't posted so far on this thread but having been following it, there has been a absolute wealth of fantastic advice on here and most of it well worth looking into/following.

What has prompted me to post is the comments that imply people are being harsh and people being all defensive of Lozzi. I don't post regulary so don't know the histories here but I haven't seen anyone being anything other than helpful and if you are going to open up personal stuff on a thread to be comented on you may get replies you don't want!!

I think the video is relevant, The average non doggy person really wouldn't have spotted the dogs facial expressions and body language!
an example I was out walking the other night... bumped into a friend and her father they have a 12 month old BC, the dogs were allowed to sniff each other and there was some play bowing etc and some noise (playing) , my friend then said 'ooh these two don't get on!' !! I was stunned but didn't persue it as sometimes its just not worth it!

Mish I can't give you any reps sorry!

ETA , I don't understand the need to be carrying your dog about to move him, you say he is used to it which implies you do it allot and he's a big dog!! there are so many ways you can get a dog to move, toys, treats, games etc!

So much good advice already given!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
thank you, its good to hear others have gone through this and it has all worked out ok. I just felt so terrible after it all, and guilty. But im sure he wont do it again, he is a great wee boy.
Lozzi, I was going to stay out of this because you are already getting good advice and the number of posts must be overwhelming.

However, no-one seems to have picked up on this point and I think it is VERY VERY important. If you assume that Jake will never do it again, a big accident is waiting to happen and it will be Jake who pays the ultimate price.

I think everyone's first bite is a real eye-opener but please, you really must learn from this. Even if it was just purely out of pain, you must learn to recognise when Jake is so uncomfortable he will consider biting.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Lozzi, I was going to stay out of this because you are already getting good advice and the number of posts must be overwhelming.

However, no-one seems to have picked up on this point and I think it is VERY VERY important. If you assume that Jake will never do it again, a big accident is waiting to happen and it will be Jake who pays the ultimate price.

I think everyone's first bite is a real eye-opener but please, you really must learn from this. Even if it was just purely out of pain, you must learn to recognise when Jake is so uncomfortable he will consider biting.
Very true. Hali, will you tell my husband this please!! ;o)

I now know if Woody is un-comfortable and can spot the signs. He crouches, tenses and his eyes go abit starey. He also HATES being cornered. This happens at the vets mainly now as we know how to treat him n the home (God I wish the dominance thing would hurry up and go out the window!).
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:18 PM
I hope you're feeling better this morning Lauren, and have managed to digest this thread by now, coz personally, I think there's been some brilliant, brilliant advice for you to work your way through, and I don't think anybody has got at you either, everyone's trying to help, including me, honest!!

I just wanted to say, I once had a parrot, one of those cockatoo's and I had seen that bird crunch her way through a brazil nut with that beak , so when I first got her and she was nervy and scared, I never pushed myself onto her for her affections, we just sort of let her be, and within a few months we were able to let her out on her stand, but we didn't try and approach her coz she was still very nervous, so we waited for her to get used to us until we put any hands anywhere near her. Anyways, a couple of years down the line, this parrot would climb up my arm whilst I was eating dinner, preen my hair, she was as tame as tame could be. Everytime I put my hand in her cage to stroke her under her chin, she would rest her head in the palm of my hand and spread her wings around it, oh I thought I would be able to do anything with that bird, she was totally in love with me.

A few months later, she was sitting on the arm of the sofa, and the door to the basement was open right next to it, somebody came in, frightened her, and she ended up flying/falling down the stairs into our basement in fear I got up, went down the stairs, saw her strutting about at the bottom, and just reached down to pick her up, thinking nothing of it, BUT, as I picked her up, she sank that beak right into my index finger next to the nail and almost took the top of it off!!! I learned a serious lesson there! Animals can do something totally unexpected, they are unpredictable, especially when faced with fear/pain, I know that now, she didn't mean to do it I'm sure, but it was all a learning curve for me many years ago.

I know it wasn't a dog, but it might be relevant?! Dunno!

I've been bitten badly on my hand when I tried to separate my two bitches in their basket, I shouldn't have put my hand in there, the dog didn't mean to bite me either, I know that, but it happened.

Zena has bitten me, quite badly once, when we were playing in her pool, I reached down for the frisbee, so did she, and she caught my hand very badly, but she was very young and she didn't know what she'd done, but from the way I walked away from her, she certainly knows now, coz she caught my hand the other night, realised what she'd done, and promptly flattened me and smothered me in kisses!

Try and take on board all the brilliant help and advice you've been given here, you must feel really awful I know that, but you can get through this and you will I'm sure.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Very true. Hali, will you tell my husband this please!! ;o)

I now know if Woody is un-comfortable and can spot the signs. He crouches, tenses and his eyes go abit starey. He also HATES being cornered. This happens at the vets mainly now as we know how to treat him n the home (God I wish the dominance thing would hurry up and go out the window!).
My OH is less able to see the signs too.

But I wouldn't say that it is dominance.

Personally I think there are some dogs that will never ever bite no matter how they have been raised nor what has happened to them. But for other dogs, if they get pushed too far (and different dogs will have different tolerance levels) they will react.

Its an important lesson to learn, particularly for those who have always had bomb-proof dogs and have therefore never needed to learn to see the warning signals.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post

Excellent post Hali - I can't give you any Reppies.

Lauren, Hali's point is a valuable one. Today, when hopefully things are a bit calmer, try to remember every detail of before the bite. Was Jake lying flatter to the floor than normal, were his muscles tenser than usual, were his eyes wider, or narrower, did his nostrils flair, was he licking his lips. All too often signs are very subtle but, and I may be wrong, I doubt any dog attacks without a warning signal. it may be very quick and difficult to spot, but once you know what to look for its invaluable. Its a huge learning curve for you but you can learn so much. x
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Excellent post Hali - I can't give you any Reppies.

Lauren, Hali's point is a valuable one. Today, when hopefully things are a bit calmer, try to remember every detail of before the bite. Was Jake lying flatter to the floor than normal, were his muscles tenser than usual, were his eyes wider, or narrower, did his nostrils flair, was he licking his lips. All too often signs are very subtle but, and I may be wrong, I doubt any dog attacks without a warning signal. it may be very quick and difficult to spot, but once you know what to look for its invaluable. Its a huge learning curve for you but you can learn so much. x
Yes well said Lynn, and also remember not to punish him for being like this.

It's very easy (Hali this is where I was going with Neil and the dominance thing) to confuse your dog growling at you when you are telling him what to do, as being ignorant or disobedient. This can make you want to ''show him who's boss'' so to speak.

The growl in this instance (and the face of the dog in the video) is the dogs human way of saying ''stop, I don't like that''. It is nothing more than that. By listening to your dog you will help him to feel secure and safe around you which is fundamental to your relationship. I think it was Hali who told me this and it's been invaluable.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
Crikey I haven't posted so far on this thread but having been following it, there has been a absolute wealth of fantastic advice on here and most of it well worth looking into/following.

What has prompted me to post is the comments that imply people are being harsh and people being all defensive of Lozzi. I don't post regulary so don't know the histories here but I haven't seen anyone being anything other than helpful and if you are going to open up personal stuff on a thread to be comented on you may get replies you don't want!!

I think the video is relevant, The average non doggy person really wouldn't have spotted the dogs facial expressions and body language!
an example I was out walking the other night... bumped into a friend and her father they have a 12 month old BC, the dogs were allowed to sniff each other and there was some play bowing etc and some noise (playing) , my friend then said 'ooh these two don't get on!' !! I was stunned but didn't persue it as sometimes its just not worth it!

Mish I can't give you any reps sorry!

ETA , I don't understand the need to be carrying your dog about to move him, you say he is used to it which implies you do it allot and he's a big dog!! there are so many ways you can get a dog to move, toys, treats, games etc!

So much good advice already given!
Nope I just read some and just trying to say now 13pages of info, is a lot to take in, some people write abruptly and I am the first to admit to doing this also. I dont want their advice to get lost in LB getting defensive as humans also have this capability of feeling like they are being cornered and will come out fighting.
LB's dog biting her is serious and obviously somethings need to happen to reduce the risk of it happening again.
Jackbox wrote it well no one would spend their time writing if they didnt care.
You may get replies you dont want by putting personal stuff on a thread, but then on a topic like this the wealth of knowledge being provided will get lost and I think that would be a shame, LB is able to defend herself. I just wanted to say 'hey it is a lot to take on board' and I know when I have had a lot of advice given my first reaction is to dismiss peoples ideas but with a bit of sleep and time and stepping back have seen it from where people are coming from and changed my perspective.
The thing with forums we can think well you need to do A,B,C,D but it takes time to put these things into place, for example it is Sunday the vets arent open, so the appt wont be known until Monday, to get a long line going, you have to go out and get it (I hear it is snowing over there) it may be impossible to get out and get it straight away and if I had 13 pages of advice to read it would take me a few day to formulate a plan and put it in place.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Not only is he likely to do it again, he will do it harder next time and he will then start to generalise the skill and use the bite in different situations as well.

That is why something has to change in your relationship with him. You don't want him end up as another statistic.

Poor little confused dog.

rune
Closed Thread
Page 13 of 26 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »