Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 09:07 AM

Top Breeders for Each Breed?

I remember years back the Pedigree Chum adverts used to talk about and show 'top breeders'.

Do they still exist and if so how does one become a 'top breeder' is it to do with showing and titles gained by ones dogs?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Wasn't that just the breeder of the dog who won Crufts that year?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I remember years back the Pedigree Chum adverts used to talk about and show 'top breeders'.

Do they still exist and if so how does one become a 'top breeder' is it to do with showing and titles gained by ones dogs?
as far as I aware, it works on a sort of point system, I dont know if the breeder has to put the dogs name forward or not for this or pedigree just get the results from shows, but I think it is based on how well the progeny of a dog does rather than the dog itself. oooh just realised it was top breeder as the person not as top bredder as in the animal lol sorry.

Mo
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah they do still do competitions, pedigree was just the sponsor I think. They do a top dog, top puppy and top breeder based on the winnings of one dog (most points gained in one year) and the breeder award is based on dogs bred.
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2009, 02:36 PM
'Top Dog' is a competition run by Dog World Newspaper. They also run competitions for Top Stud Dog and Top Brood Bitch. Our Dogs runs similar competitions for Top Puppy, Top sire and Top Breeder.

The Pedigree Adverts on TV used the line "Top Breeders recommend Pedigree Chum" and the Crufts BIS was always featured within about half an hour of winning the title. I think they dropped the adverts when BIS one year refused to promote Pedigree.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Both dog papers run their own competitions as do a couple of dog food companies.
Csampion stakes classes and pup of the year classes are held at most Champ shows and sponsered by difference companies.

Top sire awards are won by dogs winning points sired by that particular dog and top breeder wins points from dogs winning points from dogs bred by themselves, all in classes sponsered.

So leagues tables may look different depending on who the sponser is.

Breed/club books also have different results based on how they allocate points, som only give for 1st places some give different ones for Crufts qual classes