Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2005, 12:46 PM

Guard/watch dogs?

Well in every book and article you read about staffs says they are not natural guards but will defend their owner (sorry if this is a loose translation)However my two now and my two other previous bitches have all been excellent watch dogs and I believe would make good guard dogs. Although not in the same league as Rotties, Dobes or GSD's and natural protective breeds. They certainly let us know when smeone is about but ignore family coming to the door apart from licking them to death when in the house.

So what makes a good watch dog to you?
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2005, 12:50 PM
A good guard dog mm, ok.

Willing to defend its property against anyone not in the family or with the family, very loyal to its people.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

22-05-2005, 01:08 PM
I don't know both my dogs are very protctive of me - I was walking in the woods by myself one day ( which I won't do now ) with the dogs and a man sneaked up behind me, the dogs went absolutley crazy at him - they looked like real devil dogs - the guy scarpered very fast - and if I am walking late at night with the dogs they will not let a man walk past me.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2005, 01:18 PM
yeh i was thinkin the same kazz. if indie hears anything suspicious anywhere she is barking her real low growl, well, its more of a bark and a huff,lol.
i dont know if she would ever try and protect me if someone came into the house as she wags her tail when ever someone comes in.
shes very suspicious tho

sash goes crazy if someone comes home in middle of night as she knows no one is meant to be coming in at that time.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz
s. They certainly let us know when smeone is about but ignore family coming to the door apart from licking them to death when in the house.

Teagan does exactly that!
I always take her to the door with me when I answer it, and she is usually excited.
She has once growled at someone, as I felt uneasy, and she must have known about it!
She barks to let us know someone is at the door, but she also barks if they walk past the house, on the other side of the road!!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz

A dog who alerts you to visitors or intruders and has a physical presence which makes people think twice.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2005, 01:32 PM
OH works nights, so the curtains aren't drawn in the evening at the front, giving both dogs a very good view. Tia is very protective of the home, whereas Pip is protective of me. Charlotte let Tia out by mistake one day when the window cleaners were here, he just managed to run up the ladder before she had him, she just got the bottom of his jeans. She also, not long ago, ran through the inner front door, to tell the milkman off!!

Pip takes his lead from Tia I think, if she starts, he joins in, but he looks alot more serious and his bark is fantastic.
Dru
New Member!
Male 

22-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Noaky our Border Collie barks if anyone nears the back garden fence, whether it's friend or foe.
Karagh our Bullmastiff only becomes defensive if Noaky has been barking at a dog outside the garden and it in turn barks back at Noaky.
We have security cameras in both front and back gardens, and if I flick between cameras on the TV Noaky runs to the back door to begin barking at any possible intruder. she is just crazy!
When out for a walk during daylight Karagh doesn't show guarding behavior. At night when out Karagh tends to put herself between us and anyone else she meets, which I like to think is her guarding us although it's more likely she is just being nosey.
If we come in contact with "rowdy types" making a fuss or noise Karagh again puts herself between us and the rowdies and stands statue still giving them the "Bullmastiff stare".

dru & co
Belfast
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Star will bark at anyone around outside and will patrol the house til it all settles down again.

She has before positioned herself in front of me when we were approached by a drunk man and gave a warning growl so I know she will protect me but I dont know how far she would go if pushed and I hope I never find out.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2005, 05:25 PM
The 2 reds are good guards but the goldies dont really care who comes to the door or approaches me!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >