Thank you!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Love....... a human emotion.....

Happy to see me? Hell, yes!

Yes, I was going to say first define 'love' philosophers and poets have been trying to do that for centuries

I believe dogs exist on a different level, they crave social contact, we might think that is love, maybe it is, but it is also possible that it has to do with self preservation, a dog instinctively feels safer in a pack than on their own. (So do humans when you think about it)

But, as Vicki says, it's so nice when they greet you as you enter the front door.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 10:51 AM
I think the human idea of love is idealised and sentimental. Do you `love` your child, or is it the biological imperative? Do you love the man you married 20 years later - or is it companionship and habit?
And we use the word love in daft ways - is there a food or pop group that you love? Do you love to swim?
Define your terms.
Dogs have an innate instinct to belong. This instinct is good enough for me.
As someone sang.. What`s love got to do with it?
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Mese View Post
There are instances of dogs refusing to leave a grave of an owner who had died ... id say thats proof that a dog can love

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/853107-d...e-owners-grave
That's what I was thinking. I am convinced that dogs can love I think it is all combined with total trust regardless of whether you give treats, etc. My dogs hopefully trust me completely, know I will never hurt them, and am always there for them no matter what.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by gsdgirl:-) View Post
Not sure about Love, Like Vicky said its a human emotion

What i do know is that my dog would pick me out of a crowd of a thousand people, protect me from anything, make me happy when i feel down, never judge me, and make out that when i come home nothing else matters......I would do the same for him

That is good enough for me
What she said! Completely agree. I'm not sure dogs understand "love" the same way we do, but I do love my dog, and I feel "loved" by her because she does all the above mentioned things.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 09:52 PM
My Mum is 87 and when she was a child her younger brother sadly died at a young age. Obviously the family dog wasn't allowed to attend the funeral but he went missing overnight and was found the next day lying on the child's grave.

When Cherry went into Newmarket for her eye operation last year Parker went into almost a state of depression after a week of her not being there. He was starting to refuse food and was even playing with puppies (not normal for him at 9-he wuffs at them to go away normally if they try to play!). Would you call that love for Cherry (I don't think so really) or just the fact that he is used to her being with him after nearly 9 years together?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Hmm....
Anyone recall the study that tested the hormones that were released when the owner stroked the dog...the same hormone was released in the dog and the human that is released when a mother brestfeeds her child...Oxytocin?

If love is based on chemical reactions, then possibly this would be classed as love?

I like to think they do, but I guess till I can ask them I will have to take what I can.....its still a good deal
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I think that many dogs do become unshakeably attached to one person or one family but is it because they love them, or purely that they fulfill the basic needs of a dog; i.e. security, warmth, food, companionship etc.? These resources are so valuable after all, and it might explain why some dogs are able to easily adjust to a change of ownership.

However there are other dogs who when parted from their owners, no matter how well cared for by other people, pine and become distressed - even refusing to eat or go for walks. This is surely emotional attachment at quite a high level.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm fully in agreement with those saying that we can't really define love in human terms, so the strong bond a dog feels to his/her two legged pack members could quite easily fall under the category 'love'.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I think my dogs love me
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >