Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2006, 08:06 PM

HELP why are they sneezing???

hi,my 2 dogs keep sneezing,they are o.k when they are sitting down being quiet but whilst walking about or playing they are snorting/sneezing.the only way i can describe it is as if there is something up their noses.we have all had colds over the past fortnight do you think they could have caught it? or could it be a sign of kennel cough? they have been doing it since yesterday evening and it is getting worse thanks in advance
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Yes it is likely to be kennel cough no they will not have caught your colds.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2006, 08:57 PM
thankyou half suspected it would be guess i will be at the vets tomorrow(again) will tell them i suspect kennel cough and wait outside with them.i swear i have paid my vets mortgage for a year
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Yep, sounds like kennel cough to me too - good luck at the vets....
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2006, 09:06 PM
thankyou diesel has had it once before so i know it just means anti biotics and if she starts to cough benilyn
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Unless you have pups or very old dogs you do not need to see the vet unless they appear sick. Keep them in away from other dogs, try to avoid play or running about and wait till it goes.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2006, 12:26 PM
well, diesel didn't seem any better so we went to the vets last night.it appears that she has a virus she has a raised temperature and is dead grouchy she had an injection to start her off and has to have 2 antibiotics a day for a week.my vet is so nice he said that if delaney got ill again,start him on the anti biotics and just pop down and buy enough for them both to have a weeks worth,so i won't have to pay a consaltation fee the cat has got it now aswell so will be keeping an eye on him too
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2006, 02:39 PM
A virus is what causes the kennel cough and that will not respond to antibiotics and they only help with a bacterial infection, these sometimes occur as a secondary infection of kennel cough. The kennel cough makes the tissues of the throat and lungs susceptible to bacterial infection which is why I said if the dog appeared ill to see the vet otherwise unless you also have vulnerable animals it is not needed because as with the human cold you can not take anything to cure it only relieve the symptoms.