View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 05:03 PM

When is it acceptable for a breeder to place a pup in rescue.

This has been commented on in another thread were a breeder has rehomed a puppy with sight issues.
Do you think this is acceptable.
Personally I think it's appalling that this is allowed, as a breeder I'm responsible for giving life to my pups and as such they are always welcome back here for any reason, and I wouldnt dream of placing one of my dogs in rescue, certainly not an eight week old pup with health issues.
Just wondered what everyone else's opinions are.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 05:17 PM
i knew a woman that bred a litter on purpose..the pups were 8 weeks old and not all had homes....she was going on holiday...so was going to give them to battersea...like it was what they were there for
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 05:45 PM
I don't think it should be allowed, if you bring a life into this world then your responsible for it, health problems or not, it was you who chose to do so, so why should anyone else pick up your pieces? I hope the breeders feeling guilty for this, and is helping the rescue out with costs for looking after the dog, espcially health costs, and if its breed related health problem tested for it before the mating, and doesn't do this mating again, which may have me moaned at for saying that, but this matings shown that it can bring up a health problem, so no matter what its bringing to a breed in other respects, if its heiradity I don't think it would be worth a repeat.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 06:10 PM
I wish there was more regulations on breeders (I know easier said than done) and if someone did this they would be banned from breeding - or at least selling their pups

Hopefully would make people think twice

I guess its a possibility for any breeder that one of their pups will end up in rescue, unforseen things happen
But illness of the pup is NOT a good enough reason
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 06:11 PM
I think it's disgusting,this breeder should be banned from breeding any further litters and should be charged for this pup's care whilst in rescue.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I know someone who placed a bitch close to giving birth into rescue because she had to undergo major surgery and it wasn't certain she'd come through it (owner, not bitch). She told them she'd pay all the expenses but that she didn't feel she could raise a litter while recovering from the surgery and if she didn't come through it she didn't want the pups suffering due to her husband being clueless.

She wasn't a backyard breeder, she showed her dogs, only bred from the ones she thought good enough and took back any she'd bred that needed rehoming. The friend who'd have taken the litter any other time had died a few weeks before. I don't think she felt she had any choice but to turn to rescue in this situation.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2011, 07:17 PM
inexcusable imo. anyone who breeds a litter is responsible for the pups
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I know someone who placed a bitch close to giving birth into rescue because she had to undergo major surgery and it wasn't certain she'd come through it (owner, not bitch). She told them she'd pay all the expenses but that she didn't feel she could raise a litter while recovering from the surgery and if she didn't come through it she didn't want the pups suffering due to her husband being clueless.

She wasn't a backyard breeder, she showed her dogs, only bred from the ones she thought good enough and took back any she'd bred that needed rehoming. The friend who'd have taken the litter any other time had died a few weeks before. I don't think she felt she had any choice but to turn to rescue in this situation.
Yes with the best will in the world things happen
and she sounds like she is responsible but was having a really bad time
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post

what a shame non of her showing friends could help her in this unfortunate situation
or even the stud dog owner if she used someone else's dog
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 07:34 PM
I was talking to a lady from Rottweiler rescue at a show recently and she said people would be amazed at how many puppies get handed over from breeders. Rottie litters apparently can be quite big and its not unusual for not all the pups to get homes so the excess (from some, not all breeders) are dumped in rescue. She also said that breeders are the least generous when it come to donating to help the rescues!! Is awful, you breed, you should take responsibility for any pups that are born!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >