View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lanners
New Member!
Female 

01-05-2006, 07:36 PM

dog seems to go into trance (Epilepsy? Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome?)

My parents Jack Russell has recently started to look as if she goes into a trance and won't move until we actually stand her up then she goes mad and runs around the room. It only happens occasionally (maybe once a fortnight) She also does it on walks sometimes. She recently had anal gland infection, don't suppose that would be anything to do with it? I think the vet thought we were potty!! Any suggestions? We live on a farm.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-05-2006, 07:39 PM
how old is she?
i think there is a medical condition where old dogs can do this, its like they are in a world of their own some if i am right walk round in circles not knowing how to walk away.
i hope you get it sorted.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 07:40 PM
One of our daughters friends used to do that, she has since been diagnosed with epilepsy!

Not sure if it's the same with dogs though??
lanners
New Member!
Female 

01-05-2006, 07:41 PM
thanks for the quick reply, she's only five and seems really healthy
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 07:41 PM
I was going to say epilepsy - it's worth getting it checked by the vet.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers
One of our daughters friends used to do that, she has since been diagnosed with epilepsy!

Not sure if it's the same with dogs though??

I know someone who does it too, and it is a form of epilepsy. (but again, not sure if it's the same with dogs)
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-05-2006, 07:42 PM
not old then i would get her checked over if your lucky she may do it when there so they can see it.
keep a log to see how often or if theres a pattern forming all helps to work it out.
Malinky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2006, 08:11 PM
My parent had a black lab cross who did the same thing, totally spaced out for anything up to five minutes, he wouldn't respond to anything would be frozen in position but afterwards he'd be fine like nothing had happened, the vet diagnosed epilepsy but said it was mild and didn't require medication unless the episodes started to become more frequent (happened about quarterly), he was seven when diagnosed and lived till 15 with nothing but minor "fits".

It sounds like the same sort of thing but try not to worry too much, I'd take Leo's advice and keep a log, my parents would always forget and then couldn't decide if his condition was getting worse or staying the same.
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Epilepsy would be my guess, the age is about right (more commonly it comes on between about 2 years and 4/5 years although it can start at any time or after trauma). They usually cycle about every 4-6 weeks though but thats just a general guide. One of my cats years ago would do exactly the same about twice a year.
lanners
New Member!
Female 

01-05-2006, 10:00 PM
thanks to everyone for your replies, much appreciated. I'll take her to the vet and suggest epilepsy, it's good to hear that if it is epilepsy they can still live a normal life. thanks everyone. She is the most gorgeous loving dog and she has made my parents so happy, couldn't bear anything to happen to her
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >