View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Couldn't remember which one was Rio so been having a look at her pics ....gorgeous girl xx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Couldn't remember which one was Rio so been having a look at her pics ....gorgeous girl xx
Aww She's a lovely girl inside and out, she certainly doesn't deserve this.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I feel like I'm bullying her but I can't just leave her to starve. I think we're just putting off the inevitable and I would have pts yesterday but the vet won't pts without good reason, which is fair enough but if she has a week of pain and suffering and is pts once we get the results what have we actually achieved?
Yeah we could be wrong but I don't think so and I'm not convinced making her suffer like this is in any way fair.
I agree with you Shirley if it's any help, it sounds like you have prepared yourself for the inevitable , let's hope the results come in soon, so if it needs doing, you won't have to let she go on to long..

I feel your pain, it brings back sad memories for me ... ( and you to I bet) We know it has to be done, but hope we don't have to.

Give her lots of cuddles...bless her .
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Poor Rio - glad you are managing to get her to eat at least a little. Good luck for the results - I'll be watching out for an update on Friday.
Hugs to both you and Rio from Roxy and me xx
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Hi
So sorry to hear it isn't lookign good for Rio. Other than what has been said have you tried cat food. Dogd seem to like it and The gourmet gold pate is very mouse like and the ocean fish one they do stinks.So you can maybe mix it with other food so she eats it.
Good luck and I hope it help

Zia
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2014, 11:34 PM
Also have you thought of whelpi and such as it tases nice and might be better than nothing.

Sally
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

19-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by ndidi View Post
Hi
So sorry to hear it isn't lookign good for Rio. Other than what has been said have you tried cat food. Dogd seem to like it and The gourmet gold pate is very mouse like and the ocean fish one they do stinks.So you can maybe mix it with other food so she eats it.
Good luck and I hope it help

Zia
Originally Posted by ndidi View Post
Also have you thought of whelpi and such as it tases nice and might be better than nothing.

Sally

All suggestions gratefully received, funnily enough I was going to try cat food yesterday but managed to convince her to eat the pilchards.
She's definitely trying now, she's eaten a whole full size can of dog food from the vets this morning, it was like concrete so I mashed it down with warm water and she scoffed the lot in 3 separate servings and was looking for more, I gave her a tin of sardines when the OH decided to mash her tablets into it. That was it she walked away. It's so hard to get her to take the tablets so I know why he did it but I'd rather she just eat and we'll battle with the tablets later. I inadvertently touched the roof of her mouth with my thumb pad yesterday trying to open her mouth and she screamed in pain, which reduced the pair of us to tears.
Meg
Supervisor

19-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
All suggestions gratefully received, funnily enough I was going to try cat food yesterday but managed to convince her to eat the pilchards.
She's definitely trying now, she's eaten a whole full size can of dog food from the vets this morning, it was like concrete so I mashed it down with warm water and she scoffed the lot in 3 separate servings and was looking for more, I gave her a tin of sardines when the OH decided to mash her tablets into it. That was it she walked away. It's so hard to get her to take the tablets so I know why he did it but I'd rather she just eat and we'll battle with the tablets later. I inadvertently touched the roof of her mouth with my thumb pad yesterday trying to open her mouth and she screamed in pain, which reduced the pair of us to tears.
Shirley I am so sad reading about Rio .My concern would be that Rio is hungry but eating is too Painful for her .

Keeping her strength up till the results come in is I guess your main goal.
Have you thought of 'feeding' Rio, making up a solution of complan , getting a syringe and with Rio sitting down with head tilted upwards gently pulling out the skin at the side of her mouth where the jaws meet to a form a pouch and syringing the mixture in. It should trickle down her throat triggering a swallow reflex. You can gently stroke her throat too . This will get some nourishment into her. A good position is with you on a chair and Rio with her head resting on a towel on your lap.

Only give a tiny bit at a time and very slowly (a teaspoon or small syringe full).

This must be a very difficult time for you xhugsx , it is a situation I dread...
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

19-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Shirley I am so sad reading about Rio .My concern would be that Rio is hungry but eating is too Painful for her .

Keeping her strength up till the results come in is I guess your main goal.
Have you thought of 'feeding' Rio, making up a solution of complan , getting a syringe and with Rio sitting down with head tilted upwards gently pulling out the skin at the side of her mouth where the jaws meet to a form a pouch and syringing the mixture in. It should trickle down her throat triggering a swallow reflex. You can gently stroke her throat too . This will get some nourishment into her. A good position is with you on a chair and Rio with her head resting on a towel on your lap.

Only give a tiny bit at a time and very slowly.

This must be a very difficult time for you xhugsx , it is a situation I dread...
You've summed it up exactly Meg, she is hungry but her mouth is so sore she won't willingly let me near her mouth at all. I tried to syringe water into her mouth yesterday with a tiny syringe, managed .5ml before she shot up and outside. You'd think it was acid not water by her reaction. She may be ill and I do believe we will be looking at pts once the results are in but she's still a very strong dog and when she whips her head around is fully capable of knocking me out. We've clashed heads a few times recently and hers is now very boney, she doesn't mean any harm she just wants to get away. You're right I need her to survive until the results are in, how tragic would it be if we're wrong about the diagnosis but she does herself irreparable damage by starving herself. My biggest fear was she wouldn't survive the week, although I have fully accepted that this will end soon with pts. I just want to minimise her suffering in the meantime.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Nothing to add but my deepest sympathy at this time, it's not fair as it is but let alone after losing Syd too. I hope you and OH are as okay as possible given the circumstances x
Page 5 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »