View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Another Skinners Duck and Rice fan. Alternate with their salmon and both dogs do well on it.

Get it two bags at a time for the boss then buy half a bag off him.
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Enough meat for a dog ?
A food fit for a dog not a rabbit?
A true content list maybe?
Hide nothing, be it good or bad?
If they say meat meal.what meats?

Just rifing really ,
what would you want???
f
Hi Guys! Just picked up on this thread about dog food and would suggest you look at a really informative website that gives you analysis of many dog foods then rates them 1-6. Its an American site so some foods we know aren't listed, but for the ones that are, its an eye-opener! Dog food analysis .
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 01:28 PM
My lot produced far too much waste on Skinners. I'm sure it suits some dogs though, but I wouldn't use it again. I did feed Harringtons for a short while but two of the dogs wouldn't touch it so I had to stop that.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Chappie is excellent but, it does not suit all dogs. My last dog thrived on it. My current dog does not do well on it at all.
I feed Gilper Kennel. It has green lipped muscle in and my dog likes it. About £15 or £16 a 15kg sack.

If you Google Gilper dog food there is a really good site.

It was recommended a couple of years ago by a really good rhodesian ridgeback breeder. My dog is not a ridgeback.

My dog does have a very varied diet. Leftovers, raw and stuff she catches.

I have never just fed one thing all the time.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 01:33 PM
I know of a roughie breeder who swears by Davies..I have never used it, but tis a good price
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Price per bag isn't really a good way to cost up food. For example, I know the petshop I worked at used to sell 12kg Bakers with 3kg free - so 15kg, for about £19.99. JWB seemed more expensive at about £35 for 15kg but when you read the feeding guidelines, a large dog needed 6 cups of Bakers vs. 2 cups of JWB. JWB would last 3 times as long, but wasn't 3 times the price.
I think the PAH website now has a "price per day" for the dog food so could be worth looking on there (then seeing if the food is available cheaper anywhere else)
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by DeeBuzzby View Post
Hi Guys! Just picked up on this thread about dog food and would suggest you look at a really informative website that gives you analysis of many dog foods then rates them 1-6. Its an American site so some foods we know aren't listed, but for the ones that are, its an eye-opener! Dog food analysis .
I dislike that website immensely. It is just one person(s) opinion on dog food with no scientific basis. I would never use a website like that to form a personal opinion on what is a good or bad dog food.
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
I'd prefer something with a decent meat content, but when you're buying cheap you can't expect too much. My main requirement, personally, would be that it's free from any nasty preservatives, but again with cheap foods that's hard to find.
What I fed until recently, and costs just under £20 (from Vet UK) was Skinner's Duck and Rice, which is very good considering (imo).
I'm beginning to think that you get what you pay for (like with most other things). I've recently been researching dog kibble without grain (not a natural dog food), and without unpleasant additives or fillers, for my epileptic dog. (Just read that sawdust is often added to dog food to bulk it up- truly shocking!) I've come to the conclusion that the most natural and nutritious seem to be "Bob and Lush" and "Orijen". And they're the most expensive I think!! (Check out removed for info. An American site but does show some UK products).
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by MrsSB View Post
I've just ordered a 15kg bag of Skinner's Duck & Rice from MedicAnimal.com at a cost of £16.99, post free, which I consider to be really good value.
Now that is a good deal.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by DeeBuzzby View Post
I'm beginning to think that you get what you pay for (like with most other things). I've recently been researching dog kibble without grain (not a natural dog food), and without unpleasant additives or fillers, for my epileptic dog. (Just read that sawdust is often added to dog food to bulk it up- truly shocking!) I've come to the conclusion that the most natural and nutritious seem to be "Bob and Lush" and "Orijen". And they're the most expensive I think!! (Check out removed for info. An American site but does show some UK products).
What a load of rubbish. Where did you read that?

The most expensive food doesn't necessarily = the best. The best food is the food that works for your dog.
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »