Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 01:16 PM

Zena needs a few positive vibes please

She's having a series of tests on Monday including a barium meal x-ray

I had booked a double appointment today with the top man at the hospital, and I had the insight to type out two pages of her vomiting history over the past month, for which I've tried just about everything, and even though we got it down to once a week, this past couple of days, it's been once a day, and it's got to the stage I'm frightened to feed her now I've Googled till I'm blue in the face, and I had come across the megaesophagus condition which the vet strongly feels it could be

I'm having to do an experiment over this week-end, whereby we feed her with her legs raised, and if it stops the regugitation then of course, he says he will have his diagnosis, and I have to say, for the first time in two days, she has actually held down a bit of lunch by me sitting on the stairs with her front feet on the 3rd step! Easy really coz she knows she's not allowed upstairs, and this is how she greets me in the mornings, so it went smoothly. I am having to use soft food in meatball shape and size in the hope that it will open up the esophagus for it to go down, but of course, she chews some of it, but so far touch wood, it's been half an hour and it's not coming back up!

Never heard of this before, but I'm going with the vet on this one, he knows how hard I've been trying to get to the bottom of it, sometimes the food stays down, sometimes it comes back up only 1/3rd into a meal, then she vomits it up outside, bounces back in and eats the rest with great gusto! All very strange to me anyway.

She isn't "sick" as such, she doesn't feel sick, no lip licking, no lethargy, just that the food will trigger this off, but once she's brought it up, she is fine again and keeps the rest down. He took over half an hour to explain it all to me, and he agrees, even if we can help it over the week-end with this feeding regime, we need to get to the bottom of it via x-ray initially. She has to stay awake, he doesn't want me there, but his colleague who we know well is going to be doing it on Monday, and because she's female, then all should be well along with the vet nurses.

It's only treatable depending on the reason, whether that be vascular or thyroid, but if it's not treatable (hereditary etc), then it's manageable by these feeding methods where you can buy a proper chair (seen it on u-tube!). If it IS what he thinks it is, then of course, I will let my breeder know.

So far so good, but we'd love some of those good old Dogsey vibes for Monday please, coz she can be a bit iffy and stressy at the vets, but she should be fine once I've left her, afterall, she's got nobody to worry about then has she!!! Bless her little heart, who would have thought
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 01:23 PM
My heart sank when I saw your post. I didn't realise Zena was still having problems. I really hope you get to the bottom of this.

Have you checked with her breeder to see if there are any known conditions in the line?

Hugs to you both. You must be so worried xxx
Anjulian
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Everything crossed for Zena, hope it all goes well for her.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Fingers and paws crossed here too xx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 02:59 PM
I hope everything is OK, fingers and paws crossed I know you must be so worried
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Hope all goes well and you get a diagnosis,Will be thinking of you both xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Big (((hugs))) to you and Zena and lots of positive vibes for Monday. Xx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Aww Bless

I really hope it can be sorted for poor Zena, loads of good luck vibes to her.......

Thinking of you both xx
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Good luck vibes coming your way. I hope it gets to the root of her problem and can be easily sorted. Knowing somethings wrong but no idea what is so worrying.
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Oh Helena, I feel for you, all paws and fingers crossed here, and as many (((vibes))) for Monday as she can absorbs. Luv Gayle. Xx
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »