View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2010, 12:00 AM
It was a letter for the rabies, will phone the vet tomorrow and double check!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
If he had a rabies vax last year he shouldn't need one this year, are you sure it's the rabies vax the reminder is for ? I would get the Pet Passport & check the dates on it, I don't know of any rabies vax that requires a yearly booster, You shouldn't have the booster done without the Pet passport.
good point !!!
did u have the last vaccine done in england?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by fluffymummy View Post
He's has one in February 09 then a blood test in April I think? We don't need to wait for another six months this time if we have it done in time, well the vet told me that.
Didn't get the passport as we didn't end up going anywhere, but I was told it only takes a couple of days.

As far as I know if we want to travel abroad then he needs rabies vaccine every year, otherwise it lasts for 3 years.

It's funny that other to go visit other countries you don't need to wait for 6 months after the blood test, it's only for coming back to UK!
no, if the vaccine is licensed for 3 years ,he only needs it every three years
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
no, if the vaccine is licensed for 3 years ,he only needs it every three years
Yes the vaccine was done here in London in February, blood tests in April. Didn't get the passport as we didn't go abroad, but we might this year.
The sticker on Fluffy's medical card says it is valid until Feb 10. So I'm confused.... I asked another vet and he told me that rabies vax is valid for 3 years but if he wants to go abroad then for one year? As we didn't go abroad would the last year vax still be valid?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 08:05 AM
That is very confusing! I was under the impression that it's every three years whether you use the passport or not. I'm planning on getting mine done this year, apart from the vaccine and blood test, are there any other expenses?
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Before you go make sure you fully understand the rules:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...res/owners.htm

as I have heard of some people being refused entry back into the UK for not having the correct paperwork. As far as I know the UK is the only country with this 6 month rule and there appears no valid scientific reason why it remains in place.

Some countries do not necessarily recognise the 3 year rabies vaccine either.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by tokiayla View Post
I think a lot of the other countries have problems with rabies already, whereas the UK doesn't so they go overboard to keep it out. That's me just guessing though.
Yes, you are correct in that the UK has never had rabies (Other than a few quickly isolated and destroyed cases) and being an island it's easier to maintain controls which I agree with BTW.

The Czech Ministry of Agriculture web site claims only three cases since 1952 but one needs to remember that 40 of those years were under a communist regime where distortion of the true facts was routine

In the forrest around here they put out bait for the foxes with the anti-rabies thingy in it. When I asked what happens if our dogs eat it I was told that it will do no harm. My wife has lived here for five years and so far as we know there has been no cases of Rabies in the media.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Britain has had strict quarantine laws for nearly 100 years for very good reason. Rabies is a nasty killer and incurable once the symptoms appear. few survive. I remember in 2004 when a Dutch man smuggled a 4 month old puppy from Morocco and took it to France. he took it to all the summer music festivals where it bit 9 people. There followed a massive national (and international) search to track down everybody who had been near this dog which had already died. He obviously didnt think the law applied to him. I know of people who still smuggle animals into the UK. Having the vaccine protects your pet and ultimately you!
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Just had a look at the med card and he got Rabisin on the 19/2/09 - expires on the 9/1/11 and next due date is Feb 2010. So yes it looks like we need a booster.
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Right, to make matters more confusing.... just got off the phone to defra, they say his rabies vax is valid until 2011 so he's ok to come back to UK at any time until the rabies valid date. It's only that some countries require the annual booster, so would need to check the individual countries I would need to travel to to check the regulations.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >